I’ve been irritated by people criticizing the police lately, especially after the St. Paul YouTube video. I’m concerned about both the police and those involved in the incident.
First, consider the life of a police officer. Having a policeman around is awkward when friends visit. The room feels colder, and people perceive the badge as an obstacle. Suddenly, everyone becomes a comedian, joking about the police. They lose their first names and are called derogatory terms like copper, pig, dick, flatfoot, bull, john law, lousy news, trouble, fuzz, or the heat. They’re called everything but a policeman.
In many instances, the profession of law enforcement may not offer a fulfilling life unless one is willing to forgo significant family gatherings due to the occurrence of homicides or to endure working Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays at reduced compensation levels. While their salaries are sufficient to enable them to save and support their children’s college education, they are often limited to acquiring knowledge about Europe through television programs.
They spend years arresting a drunken prostitute, who destroys their uniform. Years ago, the office had to pay for a new one. They get a front-row seat to the world’s diverse and elite, including pimps, addicts, thieves, bums, drunks, girls who can’t keep an address, men who care, tyrants, liars, cheats, con men, and many in Skid Row. They witness heartbreaks like beaten wives or girlfriends, and firsthand, beaten, neglected, underfed, and molested kids with broken arms or legs. They see dead, lost, homeless, hit-and-run, sick, and dying kids. They also see the old and homeless, often ignored, pensioners, and people who walk the streets cold, hungry, and homeless.
Police officers work tirelessly, attempting to mend the lives of many while maintaining their sanity. They often embark on calls without knowing who they will encounter. They could face a child wielding a knife, a deranged individual armed with a gun, ex-convicts with nothing to lose, or an angry mob that despises authority.
Lawyers and the courts impose an overwhelming amount of paperwork on police officers. They meticulously fill out reports, both when they are accurate and when they contain errors. In some cases, they even create reports within reports to prevent twisted legal representation from manipulating the facts and allowing the perpetrator to escape justice. Police officers are required to write a substantial amount of documentation throughout their careers.
They must contend with constant doubt, anxiety, and frustration, as well as the ever-changing expectations and requirements set by court decisions. If the challenges posed by the criminal element are not enough, police officers often find themselves defending themselves against lies, deceit, or misrepresented videos on platforms like YouTube. They must also protect themselves from judges, juries, and, frequently, the public, who are often unaware of the daily realities of police work. Consequently, most people are dissatisfied with the outcomes of police actions.
Consider this when we believe what we see. The St. Paul Police were out of line in their treatment of the person, but I heard an angry crowd yelling and commenting in the background. They were antagonizing the police for arresting a felon with a warrant who threatened to harm his girlfriend. Someone yelled about “getting it all on tape.” I imagined the officer, with his back to the crowd, fearing for his family’s safety if someone pulled a gun. I would be terrified if I were near that area.
I’ve been watching Dragnet recently, and in Joe Friday’s words, “Being a Policeman is a thankless, endless, and glamour-less job that has to be done, and I am incredibly glad to be one of them.” Personally, I am very glad to see a police officer, even if I am speeding!
No comments:
Post a Comment