Wednesday, August 8, 2012

1,831

Following Grandma’s Marathon, I anticipated recurring knee pain and other challenges associated with completing another 26.2 miles. It was the first time in a considerable amount of time that I missed running—not the roads, but the trials. Nevertheless, I resolved to continue cycling. However, the knee pain never manifested, and other body parts indicated that I should take a break.


My objective for this year is to accumulate 3,000 commute miles, which translates to 84 days of commuting to work. After his week, I have achieved half of my goal for work commutes, totaling 42 miles. However, I have logged 1,831 miles thus far this year. While I initially considered this satisfactory, I realized that I have averaged 8.2 miles daily this year. This revelation provided me with a sense of accomplishment. Subsequently, I discovered that several of my running friends average more than that for daily miles on foot. It is essential to recognize that these achievements are relative.


I recently improved my average speed to work by doing a time trial on my road bike. After watching the Olympics, I decided to give it a try. The previous time was over 56 minutes with wind assistance. However, on August 2, there was no wind, making it ideal for a time trial. I set a new personal best of 54:23 for 17.81 miles, according to my Garmin 405. I only had one red light! My average speed is 19.6 mph, and my average heart rate was 152 beats per minute. I was thrilled to achieve this on my new Fuji Roubaix 2.0, which glides beautifully.


I have been taking more pictures and learning new techniques.  Select the photos below for a larger image.



The summer has been decent, but the infection has returned. I was glad I rejected prednisone last time. I’ll have another exam in a few weeks, but I fear I’ll be given Levaquin again. I can’t afford another 10 pounds I gain on prednisone.


I’ll be 50 next month. Time flies. I’m unsure where it all went, and I see that I haven’t accomplished as much as I had hoped. Some call it a bucket list, others regret. I call it an opportunity. Many friends didn’t have the chance I have, passing young. I’ll cherish the time and believe the trials are ahead.


All you quiet dreamers, Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer vanishes

The summer vanished in a blur of relentless caregiving for Shelley and constantly entertaining the grandkids. Shelley hosts what is called C...