Monday, June 18, 2012

Grandma's 2012 - number 28!

When I started this post, I wondered where blogs were 28 years ago. I compared my experience at the 36th Annual Grandma’s Marathon (my 28th consecutive) with past ones, but I didn’t have a blog then, and I didn’t journal. After 28 finishes, they all run together. I had blog entries for 2009 and 2010, but last year was tough; I only had five entries (two in January and three in December).


My Friday could’ve been worse. Work was a mess, and I struggled to leave. When I did, I went to my girlfriend’s house and drove up in her car, as sleeping in a Nissan Altima is more manageable than my Smart ForTwo. I went to fill up with gas, but about five blocks from the station, it ran out! I had to push it to the station, but I didn’t get any help. Fortunately, the route was flat, but the entrance was the only issue. I picked up speed and made it.


After the fiasco, I left Minneapolis at 3:30 PM on Friday. I was concerned about my lack of preparation. Having not run any miles since the 2011 Grandma Marathon, I needed more preparation. I logged over 1,500 miles on my bike in the two months leading up to this attempt, but biking differs from running. Traffic made the trip 45 minutes longer, but I arrived at the DECC just in time for the 5K to finish and the parking lot to be clear. I picked up my packet and walked around Canal Park before heading to sleep. I set my alarm for 4:45 AM, expecting rain and a bus/train departure between 5:20 and 6:30 AM. Despite my recent sleep troubles, I had a great night’s sleep. When I woke, I was surprised to see a mostly clear sky, despite the weatherman's prediction of thunderstorms.


The train ride to the start was uneventful. I went to the Biffs' and completed the final race preparations, believing this would be my best attempt. I’ve been down, thinking this would end my consecutive Grandma’s Marathon attempts. One side hoped injury would take me out, while the other was a fighter. I hate to quit or fail more than anyone I’ve ever met.


Concerns arose due to the intense heat of the sun. The weather forecast predicted a high of 65°F with scattered thunderstorms. At 7:00 a.m., the temperature was already 65 degrees, and the sun was scorching. Standing at the starting line, numerous runners had already begun to sweat from the heat. Due to the forecast, this year’s race commenced 15 minutes early at 7:45 AM, deviating from the customary 8:00 a.m. start time. I recognized the importance of employing strategic running techniques to increase my chances of completing the race.


The race start unfolded without significant complications. It took approximately seven minutes to cross the starting line. I was maintaining a steady pace of 12 minutes per mile without any concerns. My heart rate was approximately 130 beats per minute, which was within a normal range. As is customary for endurance activities, I utilized the heart rate monitor as my pace guide, keeping my heart rate within the 130-140 range.


Everything was fine until I had a loud, painful clicking in my right knee at six miles. It was like a ratchet. Step by step, I clicked, clicked, clicked. I changed my gait and rotation, hoping to ease the issue. I walked to minimize pain and odd feelings, then ran in various ways to ease the pain. I found a short, pain-free shuffle. After the half-marathon mark, I realized my brisk walk was about a minute slower than the shuffle run, and walking didn’t hurt. I began to think, can I finish? I have to finish! So, I briskly walked, clicking off (pun intended) the miles at a comfortable pace of 15 to 16 minutes per mile. It was easy, and I had built up a cushion. I knew I only needed an average of 19 minutes per mile for the rest of the race to make the cut-off. I decided that the focus should be on the finish rather than the time.


Everything was going well until mile 22, when I began to feel tightness in my calves, right thigh, and lower back. I concentrated all my mental energy on each step, consciously changing my stride to prevent cramps from stopping me. I had been taking S-Caps and had followed a solid hydration regimen, so I remained focused. I’ve always believed that the brain can overcome many challenges if you know how to use it effectively!


Shelley met me at mile 24.5 and walked the rest of the way to the finish. It was a slow finish, but I wasn’t disappointed or happy. It felt like I had finished a day at work and was ready to go home. I wasn’t satisfied with my job, but didn’t plan to quit.


I look forward to returning to biking, though my knee hurts less than it did the week before the race. Last year, it felt better after 26.2 miles than with zero miles. I enjoyed the bike rides this past year and look forward to running and finishing Grandma’s Marathon again. When that day comes, I’ll make it my last, as I don’t want to quit without having enjoyed a race, so that positive memory will stay with me.


Currently, my focus is on combating this infection again. Despite taking Amox-Clav for six days, I haven’t noticed significant improvement. It appears that a more potent antibiotic is necessary, which will undoubtedly restrict my activities. However, I must take immediate action because I wake up unable to see clearly for the first ten minutes each morning. Within minutes, when I lie down to watch TV or read, everything becomes blurry. As I mentioned earlier, this is my ninth antibiotic rotation in the past 26 months. I am determined to fight this battle and emerge victorious, so I can overcome other challenges.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message. May you all lead happy and fulfilling lives and enjoy every moment of your existence. It’s easy for humans to take this blessing for granted, including me. I am grateful for the health, perseverance, and success I have experienced for over half of my life, including completing Grandma’s marathon. It still amazes me how quickly 28 years have passed. Wow!


Carry on, my friends.


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


wildknits
Congrats on your finish!! Good to hear your story. Amazing perseverance.  Hopefully, this will be the last round of antibiotics and the cure!  Monday, June 18, 2012 at 10:48:28 PM CDT
Wayne
28 years is incredible, Londell - Congratulations!!!  Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 9:37:48 AM CDT
Anonymous
Hey, that's me in the picture with the yellow hat and camo sweatshirt. Funny stuff. Anyway, nice job on yet another finish.  Marcus. Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 6:20:56 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...