Sunday, March 4, 2012

Back on track?

I was back on track, then I sidestepped due to infection issues. A CAT scan and medicine improved my condition this week.


Ending my decade of tennis officiating would mean more free time, but I’ve found it challenging to adjust. I’ve always emphasized the one-year rule for significant life changes, such as ending a relationship, replacing a pet, or relocating. Giving yourself a year’s break before replacing what’s lost is crucial. People often say it takes two years to fully settle in a new home, especially if they move from a dorm room.


I’ve been dabbling in various hobbies over the past two months, which has caused me a slight amount of depression. I’ve had eight free weekends, but only one has been productive. I’m busy with other things, but none have become a passion. I’ve always loved photography and recently gained some skills in it.


Like any hobby, there are upgrades and expenses. I recently upgraded to a new Nikon D5100 DSLR. It’s not a professional-level upgrade, but it has many enhancements over my old camera, including almost three times the megapixels. 


I’ve been learning the new camera. It’s amazing how many variables affect the perfect photo in the right light at the right time! Here are some recent pictures I took to see what I’ve learned.


Therefore, the new camera has been occupying my time.  


Lake Superior south of Two Harbors, MN

Two Harbors, MN

Split Rock Lighthouse

Nine Mile Creek, Bloomington, MN


I’ve had regular workouts for the first time in years. Some say that running 50-100 miles, cross-training (including weightlifting, swimming, and biking), and spending at least 45 minutes daily is normal. I started in 2012, but slipped for two weeks; however, I have had two great weeks since then.


I’m itching to bike to work. It’s 18 miles one way, but a nice day ride prepares me for the day and de-stresses me from my stressful job. I’m considering upgrading my 25-year-old Cannondale SR 400 road bike to a new flat-bar road bike. I’ve looked at:


With the new camera, there’s always a budget. Tennis, a hobby, generated about $400 a month extra cash, but that dent makes a difference. It’s over a 10% decrease in net pay from last year. So my “toys” take longer to acquire, but I never had the time to enjoy them, so there’s a needed balance.


In the near future, I intend to resume intermittent running, albeit with extended durations. My primary objective is to lose weight before straining the surgically repaired knee. While running is an effective method for weight loss, it presents a conundrum as it hinders my recovery.


Despite the passage of over a decade, I am still grappling with the adjustments to my lifestyle, which is a natural consequence of such significant changes. I am confident that I will fully adapt within the timeframe of a pleasant spring. I extend my best wishes for your well-being and safety in your endeavors.



Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


SteveQ
If a new camera would have me take pictures like that, I would definitely buy it. Wow!  Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 12:05:52 PM CST
Kel
Beautiful pics, Londell!   Seems to me that you've actually been VERY productive since leaving tennis; exploring new possibilities for your time and energy. Balance will come ;) Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 12:46:25 PM CST
wildknits
Those are amazing pictures of the Lake. And Nine Mile Creek - grew up near there. Never saw the beauty that you captured in that shot. Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 3:52:18 PM CST
Mike W.
Great pictures; the colors are fabulous.  Give yourself time to adjust to the new routine and you are right once spring gets here it should be easier.  Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 5:04:02 PM CST
Beth
Wow, just amazing pictures. I think sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves to be "productive". When I first quit my job when I had a baby, I felt guilty, like I should be doing a lot more. It took me almost a year for the feeling to go away. Just living your life on the weekends is good enough. Whether it's doing something you love or just taking a nap. Transition takes time, but you will find what works for you!  Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 9:49:20 PM CST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...