Thursday, January 19, 2012

Update

I've been busy since the holidays and the start of 2012. On January 10, I rode my bike to work, 18 miles one way, without winter gear! I rode home that afternoon in a T-shirt. In January, in Minnesota!


I’m getting good workouts but not losing weight. After a solid first eight days, during which I worked out about 2 hours daily, including at least 1 hour of cardio at over 145 beats per minute, I stepped on the scale and was disappointed to see that I’d gained 4.2 pounds. I’m angry but will get back on track and won’t visit the scale for a while.


Tennis has been finished for over a month. I initially planned to help cover the collegiate season, which starts this weekend, but after some thought and pressure, I decided to take a break. I’m not going to play Lacrosse, but I’m going to improve my health and eating. That takes time.


Tennis was a significant part of my identity for about 13 years, making me feel whole and complete. Many people have identities outside themselves, such as running ultra-marathons, being a spouse, or having children. My son and tennis have been at least 90 percent of who I am since my divorce over a decade ago.


I’m on a mission to discover new hobbies and passions. I love spending time outdoors, but with a wind chill of -35 degrees, I’ll be staying indoors for now. I’m thinking of upgrading my bike for spring and putting a flat bar on my 25-year-old Cannondale SR 400. Flat-bar road bikes might look a bit silly, but I’m a big fan of the flat-bar design. Running still needs some work. I need to lose some weight to make sure my knee doesn’t hurt. So, my workouts are limited to indoor biking, the elliptical, and weights. I also enjoy swimming and yoga occasionally. 


For Christmas, my girlfriend surprised me with a weekend outdoor photography class (Coldsnap.com—Winter Wonderland) in late February. I’m hoping for warmer than -34 degrees, but I’m excited to learn something new. I’ll share some of the photos with you later.


In essence, that is the extent of the matter. I will continue to reclaim the sense of identity I lost when I discontinued tennis. However, it was an opportune moment. I was no longer deriving pleasure from the sport, and many individuals I interacted with shared the same sentiment. Consequently, it was time for me to pursue a new hobby. I experienced a remarkably fulfilling week after volunteering for an ultramarathon. The next comparable opportunity presents itself in the form of Zumbro 100. I should contact John and secure a place.


I’m leaving for Colorado tomorrow for four days. I’ll help my son move and catch up on things. He just returned from five weeks in Chile. I hope to get some good stories and pictures.


Please take care of yourself and stay warm.


Carry on my friends, carry on!

Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


Jordan Hanlon
Zumbro is a great race and John and the rest of the volunteers and crew do a great job. I did it last year as my first 100 miler and it was great. Best of luck in your running and everything else this New Year.  Friday, January 20, 2012 at 11:21:47 PM CST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...