Saturday, April 21, 2012

A state of perceptual anesthesia?

I saw this shirt that said, “To be in true love is just like being in a state of perceptual anesthesia.” It made me think of my girlfriend. I don’t mean because of the love, but because of the anesthesia. She’s miserable and hates the thought of it. I’ve never had any issues and feel great after any surgery, where I got a great nap (at least that’s what I call it).


It made me realize how we’re all unique and have different answers to the questions of who, what, where, why, and how of humans. Some are naturally fast, while others struggle to keep up, despite being the same height and weight. 


Then some are twice the weight and run faster than half their weight. No matter what we try, some are geographically challenged, while others can easily find their way around any city without a map. Some can enjoy a beer, and those who can’t enjoy one (alcoholism). Is this all genetics? Is it all because of our environment? Is it the long-lasting effect of good decisions or bad decisions? Will I ever know?


Recently, at our office, we experienced the loss of a middle-aged woman to cancer. This is my fourth friend in five years to succumb to this disease. Notably, the most recent victim had a healthy lifestyle, smoked occasionally, and maintained a balanced diet and exercise routine. This incident prompted me to reflect on the significance of diet and exercise in preventing cancer. Recently, another staff member in our office was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She had always made healthy choices, including consuming organic food, never smoking, exercising regularly, and taking good care of herself.


This whole thing got me thinking about how diet and exercise might actually prevent cancer. However, it’s essential to recognize that other factors can influence our perception of health and disease. And guess what? Advertising often uses selective data to make certain products or services appear more appealing than others. Plus, people tend to trust what they see more than what they read, according to the advertising group.


For instance, this morning, I watched a television advertisement for a “new wave” oven. They touted how much more fat it removes compared to a conventional oven. They “demonstrated” this by cooking chicken in both ovens and then pouring the drippings into a cup to show the difference in fat removal. 


Everyone was impressed! However, they didn’t mention that the oven they were selling didn’t allow moisture to escape. Instead, they added water to the fat, increasing its volume. In a real oven, the moisture would have dissipated, leaving behind leftover fat that resembles motor oil. But people tend to believe what they see. We should remember to think critically.


Recently, I encountered an inspiring video about Yoga that featured Arthur Boorman, a former Army veteran. Boorman embarked on a journey to reclaim his life after undergoing a botched surgery during the first Gulf War. This surgery rendered him unable to walk without the aid of leg braces and canes, and he endured this condition for 15 years, enduring constant pain. By February 2007, his weight had significantly increased to 297 pounds, and he was on the verge of giving up. 


In search of a means to alleviate his pain, Boorman discovered the Yoga Retreat Group (YRG) workout program. Inspired by the guidance of DDP and other members of Team YRG, Boorman set his goal: “I Will Walk Again!” and ultimately achieved it. The video effectively illustrates that life is not defined by the number of setbacks but rather by the number of times one rises from them. For reference, here is the link to the video: http://youtu.be/suTPns5cy_Q


In conclusion, I have come to realize that scientific research should refrain from making generalizations about health and well-being. Our genetic makeup and the environments in which we are raised are vastly different, resulting in varied responses to other interventions. This phenomenon presents a significant challenge to scientific research.


Recently, I acquired a new road bike. I plan to ride my Bionx Cannondale Quick 5 one day and the new Fuji Roubaix 2.0 the other. This will allow me to cycle longer distances without experiencing fatigue. The distance I cycle one way is 18 miles. In 2012, I commuted over 500 miles to work and set a goal of 3,000 miles for my commute. It is remarkable to consider the potential fuel savings this entails, which is equivalent to the cost of an iPad.


Now, let’s talk about my health. I haven’t lost any weight since January 1st. I think this is because of three things:

  1. I had been depressed about leaving tennis (after almost four months, I am really feeling good emotionally about quitting.
  2. Work has been hectic and stressful. To cope, I’ve reduced my workweek to 55-60 hours. We recently hired two new staff members, and I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to return to my 40-hour workweek soon. (THANK GOD, I’M BURNING OUT!)
  3. The right knee is peculiar. I’ve been diligently avoiding pushing it. It never fully recovered from the surgery. As I’ve mentioned repeatedly, reducing weight significantly decreases the likelihood of pain. My weight has dropped by 18 pounds from my excessive weight in 2005. I gained 72 pounds, equivalent to my grandmother’s weight, in 2005. That was painful! I’m responsible for my weight gain, but the regular dose of prednisone between 2008 and 2011 certainly didn’t help. I felt the weight increase each time I was on the medication, but I felt much better!

I’ve signed up for my 28th Grandma’s Marathon! I’m still deciding whether I’ll actually run it, but as a lifetime member, I don’t have to pay an entry fee. I had to enter by April 1st or I’d miss out on the year, so I signed up. Last year, I managed to run it with just one 2.4-mile training run on Tuesday, the day before the marathon. Can you believe that?


In any case, I eagerly anticipate resuming my running regimen when circumstances permit. I am particularly nostalgic for my initial runs through the woods, which had become monotonous over the past few years. Despite making several attempts, I was too fatigued after an 11-hour workday to complete any runs. In retrospect, an easy run would have been a more beneficial choice.  


I have been told that sharing my diet plan with everyone and posting the results weekly will increase the likelihood of success. It makes me think.


As I wrap up, I’ve been snapping more photos and getting to know my new camera. One of the pictures I took the other night caught my eye. There’s this weird object in the sky in the upper left corner. Check out the second picture, and I zoomed in on the corner. It’s only in one of the photos; I took a bunch of them that night. Pretty cool, huh?


Image

Upper left view zoomed in

It is unlikely that I was experiencing a UFO sighting, but I must admit that I felt uneasy about my surroundings that night. The feeling was quite pronounced. Upon returning home, I confided in my girlfriend about my unease while taking photographs. Later that week, I downloaded the images, and we were both astounded by the findings.

Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.

Wayne
Yay for Grandma's, and bike commuting. Eventually, I want to see you out on the trails again! And your UFO looks like a street light to me.  Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 7:58:01 AM CDT
Bethk
Well, I'm pretty sure it's the street light! Great picture, though. Congrats on signing up for G'ma's, and I'm glad your biking is going well. Yeah!  Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 9:09:07 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...