Monday, December 26, 2011

First free weekend in - I can't recall

Last weekend, I had the first free weekend in ages! I was thrilled because I had quit tennis two weeks prior. My last two work weeks were super busy, averaging around 50 hours a week, compared to the 72 I had been averaging for the first 50 weeks of 2011. Shelley was going to Nebraska, and my son is in Chile (yes, the country!). So, it was just an aging dog and me. It was a bit lonely, but we bonded.


It was amazing to see these incredible athletes in Tuscobia. One guy was from Texas and dressed super lightly, unlike the others, who were bundled up. (Note: no gloves!) I was freezing out there, but he was walking or jogging, while I was standing. I started volunteering at 1:00 p.m. on Friday and left around 1 p.m. on Saturday. I barely got 45 minutes of sleep between 6:45 and 7:30 a.m. However, aside from that, time flew by, and I had a fantastic time hanging out with great people and making new friends.


With shorter workweeks, I’ve incorporated regular exercise into my routine. This is beneficial since I’ve been stressed and short on time. I’ve averaged at least 30 minutes of exercise daily, with today being 2 hours and 30 minutes. Although I initially felt fatter, I now feel better. I know this phase is temporary and will become a habit. I hope to have three regular weeks by year-end and form the habit.


A synopsis would be appropriate since I have not posted much on this blog in 2011.  Here are the bullet points highlighted:


  • In January, I discovered that my son had reintroduced bedbugs from his trip to Germany earlier that year. It was a tough battle, but I finally conquered it after nine months. It was a real challenge at the time!
  • In February, I relocated to Apple Valley. As is widely known, I had been experiencing various medical challenges, leading me to consider this location as a suitable place to reside. Consequently, I moved in with my girlfriend. (It is important to note that I do not reside in sin; instead, I reside in the basement of the dwelling. However, whether this aspect holds significance for others is not of particular concern.) However, it is worth mentioning that she had a daughter’s wedding and incurred other substantial expenses, so my funds also provided her with significant benefits.
  • In April, I installed a Bionx Electric Assist Kit on my Cannondale Quick 5 due to the 18-mile one-way bike ride to work. This modification enabled me to commute to work daily without requiring a rest day between the approximately 36 miles.
  • After a 10-year hiatus, my son took me on a 3-mile training run the week before Grandma’s 2011. We ran it together, and my streak as an official finisher continues for 27 years. His support and enjoyment made it a cherished memory.
  • Moved my son (twice) to Golden, Colorado, in July.
  • My girlfriend was distant due to planning her daughter’s wedding and a two-week trip to Italy to visit her other daughter.
  • Volunteered at the 42-mile mark of the ST 100. Great weather for spectators, but the runner was relentless. My aid station resembled an M.A.S.H. unit, but only smiles!
  • I interviewed in various locations far from here and received an offer in Idaho. Though I declined, I’ve regretted it a few times. During tough times and strained relationships, a new start can be appealing, but I’ve never been one to flee issues. There were compelling reasons to go and stay. Regrettably, I made the decision. Tomorrow, I may be glad I did. This has been my experience over the past month since I rejected the lateral move professionally.
  • December 9th marked the end of my involvement with the United States Tennis Association. Leaving baseball unpinning was a decision I made without hesitation, ready to move on. Over 10 years, with 35-40 weekends a year, I no longer enjoyed the hobby. I learned that passion can’t be monetized, but administrators and a few parents can take it away.
  • Finished the year with 2,265 bike miles, 645 elliptical miles, and 29.2 running miles. I likely walked a few hundred miles too.


Following my recent tennis tournament, Shelley invited me to the Holiday Lights Benefit Concert at the Brave New Workshop. The event was thoroughly enjoyable, and we had the privilege of witnessing a local performer, Keri Noble, whose talent I was previously unaware of. Her performance was truly exceptional, and I must express my profound admiration for her songwriting abilities. Noble’s music possesses a profound emotional depth and authenticity. I highly recommend exploring her work.


Our office is currently experiencing a staffing shortage of four members. Despite the economic downturn, we could have managed with two fewer, but the current situation has proven challenging. We anticipate the arrival of a new staff member in mid-late January, which will provide a temporary solution. However, as is customary during this time of year, our workload is significantly reduced, allowing us ample time to train the new individual before the anticipated surge in activity in March.


Overall, my physical and personal circumstances are undergoing rapid transformation as I approach the age of 50. I have witnessed more significant changes in the past 18 months compared to the decade preceding. The experience has been akin to a repeated divorce, although the changes are unrelated to interpersonal relationships and primarily affect my own well-being.


In light of these developments, I am setting my sights on 2012. Looking ahead, I prioritize weight loss. The right knee, which underwent surgery recently, is currently functioning satisfactorily, albeit with occasional episodes of pain. I intend to continue diligently caring for my body and engaging in regular physical activity to regain my desired fitness level. Although I do not plan to participate in any competitive races next year, I intend to volunteer at ST 100 once again. 


I will keep you all posted. Until then, carry on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...