Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grave visits!

Since my running has decreased, I’m slowly recovering from Grandma’s. I’ve been thinking a lot. It’s not unusual for my mind to wander, but could it be ADD? My son returned from Alaska. He didn’t shave the whole time, and shaving 8 days of growth was an experience. I smiled. He had a great time. I’m proud of his comfort in travel and life. Now, I need to get his car out of the garage.


What was this post about? It could be many things, but my weight is now over 270 pounds. I still ran 3-4 mile runs at 12 minutes per mile. So, it’s okay! I need to get this under control. Stress is a big reason. But I was writing about something else, and oh yeah, visiting graves.


I was watching Forrest Gump on Sunday when I noticed something striking. Near the end, Forrest stood at Jenny’s grave, talking to her as if she were there. He left a letter from Little Forrest for her to read. This made me think.


Visiting Fort Snelling or other graveyards always gives me a strange aura. I read the markers, and my thoughts range from wonderful to sad to strange. I’ve never visited a grave site of someone I know.


I thought of Dana and how she was taken early. Was she? I often think of the Pastor’s words when my 3-year-old nephew died. He said God’s plan for Aaron’s life was three years, and Dana’s was 36 years, and they lived those years fully. The Pastor emphasized that life’s brevity is due to our expectations.


Do I buy into this? I do not know. It is all confusing.


Watching Forrest Gump speak to Jenny makes me reflect on life’s unpredictability. I yearn to visit my friend’s grave in Portland to pay my respects. It’s strange, but Kayak.com offers reasonable prices. I must coordinate tennis and work, hoping to alleviate my emotional pain.


The smallest things can trigger emotions. Without them, what are we? For me, emotional eating is fat. I feel positive about my steps, which gives me hope.


I hope you’re well in this hot July as you train for races. I won’t race this year, but I look forward to the Superior 100. I’m trying to volunteer instead of officiating tennis.


Until then, or another post, carry on, my friends.


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


SteveQ
I visit some grave sites and others I don't. 29 years since my fiancee died and I've never been to hers, but I stop by my parents' when I'm in the area.  btw, my dad grew up at Ft. Snelling, when it was still a military base!  Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 10:07:42 AM CDT
Beth
Forrest Gump is one of my favorite movies. His love for her despite all of her ups and downs is inspiring.  Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 10:08:31 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...