I was so excited to read about the amazing successes in the recent ultra races! I mean, who wouldn’t be impressed by John Taylor’s incredible 59 hours and 11 minutes at Arrowhead 135? It’s incredible to think about how far he’s come and how much courage it takes to keep going when you’re at the back of the pack. It’s truly inspiring! I hope he gives a report about his race. Karen is a bit of a down-to-earth person, but she’s still incredibly talented. She finished the Rocky Racoon 100 in 27:45:02, which is an amazing time. Wayne Nelson, on the other hand, was a bit more competitive and finished the 50-mile race in 12:16:58. But he didn’t give up on Karen and went back to support her. It’s clear that both of them are hard workers and that their success is a result of their dedication and perseverance.
I still need to weigh myself, but I’m more focused on my workouts and diet at the moment. I’m up to 45-60 minutes on the bike at lunch, 60 minutes on the elliptical at least four days a week, and three days of weightlifting. I feel stronger, but my clothes fit differently. I got a hug and someone said I was “less round,” but I’m not sure if that was a compliment. I took it as a compliment, though. I’ll keep pushing myself, and I think I’m becoming more comfortable each week. I’ll extend my workouts by 5-10% and let the rest take its course.
Guess what? I got a call from an old friend I hadn’t seen in ages! She left a voicemail at my old workplace when I switched to a new phone a few years back. She didn’t have my new number, but she remembered where I worked. I called her back, and she filled me in on all the exciting stuff in her life. She recently got engaged! Remember when we met in 2006? She was in a long-term relationship, and I tried to encourage her to explore other options because she seemed really unhappy. Well, she met her fiancé in 2008, and she’s so happy now! She’s also doing really well at her job and still wants to have kids. But as we talked, I couldn’t help but feel a little sad amidst all the happiness.
She spoke of her father’s hospitalization after Christmas due to lung cancer (Mesothelioma). A contractor, he’d demolished asbestos-filled structures before the danger was known. Angry that he didn’t fight for life, she regretted her words and left the room when he passed. Crying, she expressed sadness about her words and his loss of will to fight. This left me speechless. I usually have an opinion, but this made me think.
Given my advanced age and the imminent growth of my child (who is soon to be 21), I have found myself contemplating the challenges faced by parents like myself. I shared with her that one of the most arduous periods in the lives of many parents is witnessing the remarkable transformation of their children into well-adjusted adults while simultaneously grappling with the realization that our involvement in their lives may eventually come to an end. I emphasized that parenting has been an experience that simultaneously brings immense frustration and profound fulfillment.
In response to my inquiry about her father’s wisdom, she expressed her admiration for his intelligence and compassion. Subsequently, I posed a hypothetical scenario: if her father were participating in a 100-mile race, would he be able to discern when it had concluded? Furthermore, if he desired to discontinue the race, would she be permitted to address him in a manner that might motivate him to complete it? It is important to note that some of these suggestions may not be the most flattering.
She expressed that he possessed a profound understanding of his physical well-being and capabilities. Subsequently, I inquired about her reasons for questioning his decision to cease fighting cancer, given his knowledge of her limitations and inability to comprehend the situation. I informed her that I frequently encounter such individuals who have demonstrated remarkable resilience in battling a disease. At some point, they attain a state of knowledge and acceptance of their journey. He was aware that his decision would likely cause distress to those who loved him, leading me to believe that the words he left behind were not intended to cause harm, but rather to convey his understanding. After all, he was a wise man.
I requested that she look in the mirror and smile. Her father was present, and she needed to be joyful about her upcoming marriage and the prospect of parenthood. It would be an extraordinary experience; she would have him and his memories as one of the most valuable guides. She should not be saddened but rather grateful for having a caring father who possessed the wisdom and knowledge to make the best decisions as a parent and an individual. I discerned a hint of happiness in her smile.
In response to her inquiry about my life, I informed her that I had to depart due to the limited depth of my experiences. She requested my address and expressed a desire to schedule a meeting in the near future. After our conversation, we disconnected. I anticipate receiving a wedding invitation in the near future, but the timing of our next conversation remains uncertain. I am perplexed by the contemporary phenomenon of failing to maintain consistent contact with friends through electronic communication. However, similarly to her father, we harbor a desire to engage in activities when opportunities arise.
Carry on my friends, carry on!
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment