Sunday, October 11, 2009

Whistlestop, but not to run

In my recent visit to Ashland, Wisconsin, for the second time, I was delighted to support Shelley as she embarked on her first half-marathon. Over a decade ago, I had the privilege of participating in one of the nation’s most esteemed fall marathons. Currently, a half-marathon is often regarded as a supplementary training run for me, akin to the experiences shared by many of my running companions.


I reminisce about my first 10K in 1984, feeling nervous but finishing and limping for two days. This experience repeated for my first 15K, half marathon, marathon, 50K, and 50-mile race. I understand and respect runners’ worries, and I’m determined to support the mental barriers I faced.


After knee surgery, I’m concerned about a two-mile run once cleared. But Shelley’s physically fine. She’s in her best shape (the past five years I’ve known her), lifting weights and training regularly. I’m more worried about the mental aspect. I’ve realized mental training is crucial in longer races, especially for me.


Last autumn, we participated in a leisurely 12.5-mile run together. I resorted to deceiving her about the actual distance we covered, and I refrained from giving her a watch. Upon informing her of her progress at the conclusion of the run, she exhibited immediate signs of discomfort and fatigue. The human mind possesses remarkable capabilities, often leading to more premature discontinuities than any physical ailment.


I eagerly anticipated witnessing Carrie Neuburger (Kurt’s wife) completing her inaugural half-marathon. It has been an extended period since our last encounter at the Afton 50K, and I extend my sincere hope that her training journey has progressed satisfactorily. The event promises to be an auspicious occasion for capturing exceptional photographs, and I intend to bring three cameras with me. Whistlestop serves as an optimal vantage point for spectators, as it affords a close view of the runners approximately every two miles, and the course boasts breathtaking scenery. I anticipate an unforgettable experience.


This weekend, I attended Shelley’s first half-marathon, The Whistlestop Half-Marathon, in Ashland, Wisconsin. While I used to enjoy this race thoroughly, my experience this weekend left me with a different opinion. The main issue was the perceived ease of the course, stemming from past success. While the scenic course is excellent, I’m not sure I’d recommend it again.


Things started going wrong on Friday when we arrived at the event check-in. They informed us that we had to pick up the race chip at the start, which seemed unusual. (Later, when we checked our bags, we discovered that there were no pins for our race numbers either.)


We headed to the pasta dinner, but the lines were incredibly long. It was evident that they weren’t expecting such a large turnout. After patiently waiting about 3 minutes, a staff member informed us that they couldn’t cook the pasta quickly enough. It was early in the night, around 6:15 PM.


When we finally left, the line had grown even longer, and people seemed to be waiting longer than we had.


Our first day was challenging, but we returned to the cabin and fell asleep instantly. Upon waking, we were greeted by howling winds and a foot of snow. The icy road, with a 30-degree temperature and a wind chill of single digits, made the conditions unpleasant.


We headed to the start, and Shelley waited in line for the biffy while I  grabbed the race number pins and the chip. I went to a barn to get the chip, but there was another line. Someone suggested I check the start area, and there was a table less than 50 feet from where I had gotten the chip.


Subsequently, an announcement was made indicating that the race would commence 10 minutes later than scheduled. Shelley and I promptly entered our vehicle to warm up after enduring an extended period of anticipation for the biffy in the frigid temperatures. However, an unexpected twist unfolded: the car was positioned just 30 feet from the commencement point. We observed individuals queuing up to begin the race and promptly exited our vehicle to ascertain the situation. Before we could comprehend the unfolding events, the starter's pistol was discharged. However, it was discovered that the race had only approximately 200 participants, in contrast to our initial impression of thousands. The atmosphere appeared to be characterized by a lack of coordination and understanding.

 

Individuals continued to arrive at the starting line, exhibiting confusion when the male leader passed by at the 3-mile mark. Over a thousand participants commenced the race approximately 5 minutes after the actual commencement, as they had been informed that the race would begin 10 minutes later. Consequently, many individuals opted to remain in their vehicles, seeking warmth, and exited approximately 8 minutes later, 2 minutes before the purported commencement.


The slippery road was warming up as the sun rose. I waited for Shelley, watching as many confused people gathered at the starting line, still waiting for an official start. I spent the day seeing Shelley every two miles. The aid stations were small and understaffed, so I was glad she had brought a bottle.




The race was successful for Shelley. She finished in about 2 hours and 35 minutes, feeling great the whole way. She enjoyed the course and couldn’t wait to get out of her wet clothes and get her finisher’s shirt. However, the tent was understaffed, and she stood outside for about 10 minutes in the low 30s wind chill. 


So, we had a bummer when we decided to pay $7 to have her medal posted on her medal. We dropped it off, and they said it would take about 30 minutes. We waited 30 minutes, then I checked, and we were 14th in line. It took about 2 minutes each. So, we went to the entertainment tent and got some hot chocolate. We waited in the tent for 30 minutes and went back, and we were now 13th in line… I asked what that was all about, and he said, “We put all these ahead.” They were from the other races (10K/5K). He said another 30-40 minutes. Now, we could have gone to shower and eaten already. But we had wasted over an hour waiting for the medal the way it was. So, we decided to go to the grocery store and return in an hour. The medal was done. BUT THEY SPELLED HER NAME WRONG! We just shook our heads and left.


Shelley enjoyed the course and was pleased with her success. Despite the poor weather and her limited race experience, she didn’t mind the underprepared organizers’ rookie effort. There are many ways to improve, such as providing pins in the packet, giving the chip the night before to reduce congestion, placing shirts near the finish and medals, and learning to spell and prepare for larger numbers.


They struggled to handle a larger, high-class event. They’ve done well with smaller races, but this was too much for them. If they reduce the size and make it manageable, they’re succeeding. I won’t suggest this as a half or full marathon.


Carry on my friends, carry on!



Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


kurtn
It was good seeing you out there! What a cold day. I agree with all of the organizational comments...pretty bad. Congrats Shelley! Hopefully we'll see you guys again soon!  Monday, October 12, 2009 at 8:06:49 AM CDT
Kel
Sorry to hear about all of the problems - I'd always heard good things about this race in the past. Hopefully, the organizers will figure things out and get the race back up to standard.  Congrats to Shelley!!  Monday, October 12, 2009 at 10:48:22 AM CDT
Beth
Congratulations to Shelley! I have heard similar comments about the race this year. I also heard hotels that charged reasonable rates last year required two nights and had their rates ridiculously high. Too bad, as it sounded like such a cute race. I'm so glad your wife had a great day despite it all.
Monday, October 12, 2009 at 7:18:22 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...