Thursday, October 22, 2009

Same old complaints

My weight has always been an issue. I can gain and lose 10 pounds a week, with more gains lately. I’ve been working out and tracking my diet. I do cardio 30-45 minutes daily and lift weights 2-3 times a week. I eat 2,200-2,700 calories daily with a balanced diet.


I’ve gained all I lost in the past two weeks (5 pounds) and 3 pounds compared to three weeks ago. I’m at 268 pounds, 30 pounds over last October and 65 pounds over my 2006 50-mile weight. I was only 34 pounds before I peaked in 2005.


I know many may get tired of my complaining, but I’m using this blog to vent. It frustrates me and angers me.


Despite my desire to indulge in a decadent pail of ice cream, I find myself compelled to prioritize my health and embark on a second gym session today. I intend to cycle for an hour, concluding my workout with a well-balanced dinner, though it may not be particularly enjoyable. Subsequently, I anticipate experiencing a sense of contentment.


I am hopeful that the significant weight gain observed this morning is attributed to water retention from my strenuous weightlifting session yesterday. I anticipate a decrease in weight tomorrow morning, as I meticulously weigh myself each morning. Should this not be the case, I will adhere to my established routine of weight loss, improved health, and successful completion of an ultra-marathon. While the physical challenges may be arduous, the ultimate reward of accomplishment provides a sense of fulfillment that surpasses any discomfort.


Furthermore, I have recently discovered that Pamela McNeill’s CD release party will coincide with the UMTR party on November 14th. The party will commence at 9 PM at Bunkers, allowing me to attend both events. I will depart from UTMR at 8 PM.


For those unfamiliar with Pamela McNeill, she is a renowned singer-songwriter in the metropolitan area. I have previously shared an article about her titled “All You Quiet Dreamers Carry On,” and I conclude it with her customary refrain, “Carry on.” Reading that post has instilled in me a profound emotional connection to her music and the phrase “carry on.” Simply writing this brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye. I am compelled to wonder if I will ever cease to be overwhelmed by immense pain and sorrow from unexpected deaths.


In addition, I make an effort to support local musicians whenever possible, provided that their music aligns with my preferences. If an individual appreciates the music, it is likely to be an enjoyable evening.


Tomorrow, I anticipate sustaining a foot injury while attempting to drop-kick the scale. Regardless of the outcome, I must persist in my endeavors and remember to maintain a positive outlook.


Carry on my friends!



Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


Beth
I'm glad I'm not the only runner that yo-yo's with weight. I have ten pounds that I put on and then take off. I worked hard to lose 3 pounds and blew it this week when I couldn't stop eating junk food. Two pounds are now back. I'm determined to get the now 9 pounds off before the holidays turn it into something more.  I appreciated your older post and am sorry for losing your friend. It's profound when we find an artist that articulates our deepest feelings. I'm glad you found Pamela, and I'm sorry that you are still hurt from your loss of Dana.  Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 7:24:24 PM CDT
Diane
I hear you and vent away!  The goal, that I started about 9 days ago, is to lose 20 lbs, bringing me to my "perfect weight." I'm not overweight per se, but I'm higher than where I'd like to be (150lbs at 5'8"). We'll see how it goes. I do well for 2-3 weeks at a time and then tend to fall apart. Maybe we can motivate each other?  Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 9:04:38 PM CDT
SteveQ
The scale can be a nasty beast sometimes. You do everything right and the numbers go the wrong way. Just stick with the plan and it'll work out eventually.  Friday, October 23, 2009 at 10:16:02 AM CDT
Karen G
Never give up. Everything counts.  Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 4:31:30 PM CDT
Helen
If I had one wish, it would be that I could eat my daily donuts (ok, maybe 3) and not have to run 10 miles to counteract it!!! Keep at it - as you say, the results are worth it. It's those first few weeks that are the toughest - once you start to see some results and feel better it sort of turns from a viscious cycle into... the opposite - whatever that term is!  See you at Surf!  PS I love the profile pic!! Is that a photo of a picture you got done or a photo-shop job?Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 8:41:30 AM CDT
Anonymous
Don't give up, Londell - it's worth it! I don't struggle with weight, but my husband does. Since I've know him, I've taken in more calories on a daily basis than him and he still doesn't lose the weight. It's not fair that some people have to fight this battle, but not a reason to give up. I'm sure the others in your life are proud that you continue to fight this!  Molly. Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 3:09:30 PM CDT
bryan
I know exactly how you feel, Londell! I've had the same experience many times.  I guess the most persistent take-away thing I've learned is to avoid giving in to discouragement and explicitly remind myself instead of what has gone right over the long term. There is a term for the opposite of a vicious cycle, that Helen was fishing for, it's a "virtuous cycle": staying mindful of the good you've achieved and using it to encourage yourself to accomplish more good. Thanks in advance for volunteering at Surf, and see you there!  Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 9:01:48 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...