Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April 2008

Despite missing the FatAss run, I prioritized healing and sought a second hobby. Many ultra-endurance enthusiasts attended a FatAss run hosted by Larry Pederson. Regrettably, I had to miss my second hobby, tennis officiating. This marks the second consecutive year I have missed this event, but my knee remains sore. Fortunately, walking does not cause me any pain, so I have incorporated it into my regular weekly workout regimen.


Currently, I walk for 16-18 minutes per mile through the woods along the MN River Valley. Last week, I logged 15 miles in three days, and my knee feels stable. However, I am apprehensive about resuming running and have been advised by my physician to take another week to allow my knee to recover gradually. This is a common challenge for runners, and I understand the difficulty in adhering to such a schedule.


Through my experience, walking is a crucial component of training, complementing running. I am curious to know if other veterans share this sentiment. In retrospect, while walking was not a skill I possessed in its entirety when I first attempted it, it became a necessary component of my training regimen, particularly during nighttime runs. Walking can be equally beneficial in achieving fitness goals.


I eagerly anticipate the arrival of warm weather.


By mid-month, I was saddened by the numerous recent posts regarding the 50K, 50-mile, 100-mile, and 150-mile races. While I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in these events, I am also concerned about my current injury, which prevents me from thoroughly enjoying the experience. I am encouraged by the fact that hard work, patience, and perseverance can lead to success in these races.


Many race reports are accessible to anyone with internet access, although some may only be available to members of the e-mail user group.


People like the Energizer Bunny, I mean, Al Holtz.  He did 150 miles in 48:55:11:13! In his post, he wrote:


 "I now know by first-hand experience what 2nd night hallucinations are. It is amazing what sleep deprivation can do to your mind. I am still convinced that once daylight came on Sunday, in the section of woods preceding the first aid station (totem pole), I saw a herd of (6-7) albino deer that ran away before I could get my camera out. Andy Weinberg laughed and said he was certain there were no albino deer in the park."


Makes me laugh.


In addition, there is Julie Berg, an exceptionally inspiring individual whose blog, http://julieberg.blogspot.com/, has garnered a substantial following. Berg is renowned for her remarkable achievements, including completing the 100-mile race in Pekin, Illinois. Despite evading a drug-dealing motel the night before the race and enduring freezing temperatures (in the 30s) while sleeping in her car, Berg exhibits unwavering grit and determination that surpasses most individuals I know. She maintains a composed demeanor throughout the race, persisting despite being 1.5 hours behind the lead women at the 50-mile mark. When the lead woman faltered, Berg seized the opportunity to win the race, leading the next-place woman by over 4 hours. After the race, the arduous 8-plus-hour drive home remains a challenge. Still, Berg presents it as an achievable endeavor for anyone willing to invest time and effort in both physical exercise and dietary modifications.


Furthermore, I eagerly anticipate the post from my friend, Phil Smith, who possesses a remarkable ability to articulate both positive and negative experiences in a clear and accessible manner. Smith completed the entire 50-mile race on snowshoes and authored a book titled “Ultra Superior” detailing his first 50-mile race. Coincidentally, this was also my first 50-mile race, and we both aspire to achieve a 100-mile finish this September. While reading the book, I found myself reminiscing about the same challenges I had encountered, which brought back cherished memories. At approximately mile 43, I was fortunate enough to experience a group of backpackers singing gospel music in the woods. Their performance was stunning, and it was a rare occurrence to hear such sweet music amidst the wilderness of a 50-mile run. At longer distances, I experience a profound sense of tranquility that defies explanation.


In the face of adversity, numerous runners and many more endured the elements, including cold winds and inclement weather, and reveled in the experience. When I share my running adventures and those of my acquaintances, I often encounter skepticism and disbelief. However, my response remains consistent: the pursuit of life or death is a universal imperative, and I find a profound sense of fulfillment during my trail runs. These races are eagerly anticipated events, and I have observed that no single ultra-runner I know lacks kindness and compassion. The tranquility experienced during a 10-hour run is unparalleled, and only those who have personally experienced it can fully comprehend its transformative power.


Trail running has provided me with a profound appreciation for the beauty inherent in the world. Amidst the challenges of war, the loss of loved ones to cancer, the growing distance between myself and my girlfriend, and the pervasive negativity in society, trail runs offer a respite of peace and hope. They instill a sense of purpose and understanding of the complexities of our existence. From the simple act of putting one foot in front of the other to navigating through roots, splashing through water, and encountering various obstacles along the way, trail running presents a unique and enriching experience.


I have one final week before my doctor clears me to resume running. During this period, I will prioritize slow and mindful recovery, as the Superior Trail 100 is only 143 days away. As the adage goes, trail running is an experience that must be experienced firsthand to comprehend its allure fully.


On the 19th, I embarked on an extraordinary adventure that I had never undertaken before. While I have occasionally participated in short trail runs, today I dedicated seven hours to volunteering at the Trail Mix race in Hyland Park, Bloomington, Minnesota. While I missed the exhilaration of being on the course, I strongly encourage anyone injured and capable to reach out to the race director and volunteer for the next event. This experience offers a similar level of enjoyment and fulfillment, and I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to participate again.


In response to Lynn Gannon’s request for assistance at a Tail Mix Aid Station a few weeks prior, I decided to participate. While the prospect of cleaning the house or doing laundry may not be appealing, I was eager to contribute to the event.



On April 19, 2008, at 5:30 a.m., I awoke to the drizzle and ice crystals falling from the sky. I contemplated the prospect of enduring another cold and rainy Trail Mix. As I resolved to go car-free, I bundled up and cycled to Hyland Park.


Upon arriving at 6:30 AM, I was greeted by numerous familiar faces at Aid Station One. Lynn, whom I had not seen in several years, along with Al, John, and several others, was engaged in a trail race. After approximately 20 minutes, Lynn inquired if I could proceed to the South Station instead. I readily agreed, but I anticipated spending time with my acquaintances.


Therefore, I loaded my bike and headed to the South Aid Station, the final station on the course. As the last person to depart, I arrived to find the station set up. Initially, the atmosphere was relaxed and casual, but as runners began to arrive and require our supplies, the pace accelerated. Throughout the day, I had the opportunity to encounter the 50 K runners eight times, which was an exhilarating experience. I admired the “new king of support stations” in my mind (Dean) and met some remarkable individuals. The station was filled with an overwhelming sense of joy and fulfillment.


Observing the race from the leaders to the final runner passing by the station was an incredible experience. Kim initially led the women’s race, but Eve swiftly surpassed her and emerged as the overall winner. Steve Quick maintained a consistent pace throughout the event. If my memory serves me correctly, he was third in the first lap but quickly ascended to first place among the men and appeared unwavering. It was a pleasure to witness him return to our station and exchange greetings after the race.


During the race, I encountered numerous individuals I was previously unaware were also participating. As I distributed supplies, filled bottles, and engaged in friendly banter, I discovered that Karen and Les were approximately a minute apart. Upon Les’s arrival at my station, I would inform him that Karen was merely a few seconds ahead, eliciting a chuckle from him. On the final lap, their proximity became evident. I encouraged Karen to cheer as she departed from my station, and Les promptly appeared. Finally, he acknowledged my prediction.


Philip, the diminutive engine, demonstrated remarkable resilience today. A week after the Chippewa race, he exhibited a significant improvement in his performance, gaining strength with each lap. His appearance was noticeably more robust and agile. It was a pleasure to witness his progress. His improved physical condition and lighter demeanor suggest that he will be an invaluable asset at the Sawtooth 100 in September.


It was amusing to observe the diverse beverages, habits, and abilities exhibited by the participants at the station during the race. The race fuel mix, reminiscent of blood, elicited astonishment among the non-runners.


To conclude the day, I had the pleasure of participating in the two-mile trot (loop between the station I was stationed at) with Sharon Mordorski. Our run involved alternating between descending and ascending hills, and we thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company. Sharon’s infectious smile and unwavering positivity were evident as she entered the aid station each lap, surpassing the smiles of anyone I have encountered. Her apparent love for life and running made it a delightful experience to engage in conversation and hear captivating stories about her running adventures.


Fortunately, my knee did not cause any discomfort during the race. I have received clearance to resume running without any hindrance and am diligently building my endurance. In addition to running, I have been cycling (as previously mentioned, my objective is to increase the duration of my carless rides), and I have successfully lost four pounds.


I extend my sincere gratitude to the individuals who made my days so enjoyable. Diane Farmer, Paul Fraser, Paul McCullough, and many others greeted me as they passed by the station. Although I was unable to run, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.


Last week, I attended an American Planning Association Conference in Las Vegas. Contrary to the prevalent notion that Las Vegas offers abundant free Internet access, this proved to be a challenge. Consequently, I opted to update my status via email from my mobile device.


Today, I engaged in a five-mile run on the concrete surface. While the knee pain has subsided, I am experiencing an unusual sensation. Additionally, I received notification that the NCAA has awarded Gustavus Adolphus the regional championships for both men’s and women’s basketball. Consequently, I will return to Las Vegas on Thursday and depart again for the weekend.


In the meantime, I intend to incorporate three to five miles of running into my schedule whenever possible. However, my current schedule restricts my training intensity, which is advantageous as the knee does not require excessive exertion.


Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...