My son will be returning home for spring break. While this is a welcome event, it is compounded by the fact that he will be staying in an apartment rather than a home. Unfortunately, I experienced a slip on ice last Monday, which resulted in significant pain and swelling in my right knee. My co-worker suspects that I may have a sprained MCL, as she has a similar injury. She advised me to rest for a few weeks, and she reported that her symptoms improved.
After a week, the pain has subsided, but it remains noticeable. For the first two days, any activity was excruciatingly painful. Today, five days later, I can cycle lightly without discomfort, although I am hesitant to push myself too hard. I have refrained from running for the past five days, and walking is only painful when I turn or change direction. I experience a slight sensation, but it is significantly diminished compared to the initial week. I intend to take another few days of rest and schedule an appointment next week if the sensation persists during walking. With some hope, I will be fully recovered in time for the snow melt and be able to celebrate the end of the ice season with a run.
As mentioned, my son will be home this weekend for spring break. He graduated from high school last year and is currently attending the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, Colorado. His presence will be greatly appreciated, as the past seven months have been emotionally challenging as an empty nester. After my divorce eight years ago, we shared the “frat house,” which was a male-only residence. We maintain a strong relationship; he would often play ping-pong at 2:00 AM when he was unable to sleep. We embarked on numerous enjoyable trips together, and he is widely regarded as an exceptional individual.
In my opinion, running a 100-mile marathon is nothing compared to the challenges of raising a child. While a runner may make mistakes over a few days and move on, a parent faces constant second thoughts. A fellow runner famously said, “Pain is temporary, regret hurts forever.” As a parent, I acknowledge that I have failed many “races” in raising my children and have regrets. However, hearing about their maturity and success at a challenging school brings a sense of accomplishment, akin to completing the elusive 100-mile marathon. This realization alleviates the lingering regret.
Empty-nest adults likely share this sentiment. For those who are not yet there, parenthood can be likened to a 100-mile marathon. Despite meticulous preparation, unexpected challenges arise. While there is abundant information on both parenting and running a 100-mile marathon, neither offers absolute certainty. My girlfriend and I have opposing parenting philosophies (if we had children, she would likely be an ex-partner). She has raised two remarkably stable girls primarily on her own. However, I cannot rule out the possibility that my parenting skills have had a negative impact on her children, and vice versa. Ultimately, we both performed well, and I have come to realize that there is no one-size-fits-all approach. I have no right to criticize or doubt others’ parenting choices. As I have learned, it is essential to discern what is best for oneself, as what works for one may not work for another.
After two weeks, my knee pain has subsided. I have been limiting my workouts to the bike and elliptical for the past nine days. I plan to continue with activities such as spending time with my son, enjoying my time, and lifting weights this week. Therefore, I will remain in the gym for the week. Initially, I was apprehensive about my knee, but I am experiencing an improvement. Although I still experience slight discomfort, I am willing to take more time off. I eagerly anticipate LSD runs in the parks; I need to get outside. I am significantly behind the trailblazers in my realm.
Julie Berg accomplished an impressive 50 miles in the cold and followed it up with an additional 14 miles the following day. Adam H., who sustained a minor injury, is diligently packing in workouts. It is gratifying to have individuals who inspire others to overcome their limitations and embark on trail runs.
I recently joined the Upper Midwest Trail Runner group. This platform offers a comprehensive repository of information, facilitating coordination and activity selection. I am enthusiastic and delighted to encounter numerous accomplished runners leading the initiative.
I look forward to the group’s success and am honored to contribute to its efforts.
In addition to this change, I look forward to cycling to work this week. The weather forecast is favorable, which fills me with excitement. My job is approximately four miles away, and my bike commute (door-to-door) takes 13-15 minutes, while my car commute (door-to-door) takes 8-12 minutes. The decision will be straightforward if the weather permits.
Today, I embarked on a run after an 18-day hiatus from cycling and the elliptical machine. I had grown weary of indoor cycling. Last week, I diligently cycled 160 miles. I had planned to run on St. Patrick’s Day, but the weather did not cooperate. Consequently, today was the day. I managed to complete 2.5 miles at an 11-minute pace. Initially, I was concerned that the twinge in my knee persisted, but after five minutes, all sensations had dissipated. I am filled with joy.
The weather forecast indicates a favorable outlook, which I eagerly anticipate. However, my primary hobby, as a USTA Tennis Official, presents challenges due to the upcoming collegiate season. Consequently, my weekend running options are limited.
I intend to establish a base training regimen of approximately 25-30 miles per week, gradually increasing by 3 miles per week. This approach is feasible, as I am determined to avoid the recurrence of knee pain. Fortunately, I have never experienced any knee issues, which I found rather unpleasant.
My son has recently returned to Colorado, and I am pleased to report that he is thriving. I am considering experiencing a sense of contentment when they can function independently, rather than solely relying on our financial support, particularly regarding tuition.
In light of the current circumstances, I am eager to engage in outdoor activities such as running, cycling to work, and sleeping with open windows. (The ceiling fan is currently turned off.) This is a private joke, but it holds a specific meaning for those familiar with it.
As of March 27th, it has been some time since my last visit to the doctor, and I must admit that I am experiencing frustration. Finally, I sought medical attention, and the doctor diagnosed me with tendonitis in my knee. He recommended taking time off from my duties.
The doctor explained that the strain on the MCL can sometimes develop into tendonitis. Consequently, I am currently out of commission, which has understandably left me feeling disheartened. At this juncture, I find myself in need of Dana’s encouragement and support. She consistently demonstrated the ability to find enjoyable activities amidst discomfort. However, this is a common experience for individuals with similar goals.
I am hopeful that I will be able to resume my activities as the weather warms up. I have been engaging in regular walking, which has provided me with a sense of progress. Additionally, I have been dedicating more time to the weight room, which has been beneficial for my upper body strength.
I am delighted to observe the progress of many of the highly accomplished individuals in their training endeavors. While I cannot help but feel a sense of envy, I am also filled with contentment. Many of them eagerly anticipate the arrival of spring, the return of dirt and grass, and the resumption of their training.
In any case, that is the current update. I plan to review the document, take additional time off by alternating between ice and heat therapy, and schedule some short runs next week. Several accomplished runners are preparing for their upcoming April runs. I had also planned some, but I am still finalizing my schedule. My goal is to kick off the season at the Superior 50K in May.
Until then, I will prioritize rest, ice, heat, and prayer.
No comments:
Post a Comment