Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 2008

Since failing the Superior 100 at 77 miles last fall, several setbacks have hindered my progress toward achieving my goals. I often question whether these setbacks are genuine obstacles or excuses for fear of a second failure. These negative and challenging thoughts are a persistent part of my mind, preventing me from setting myself up for future failures. These are common challenges that we all encounter in life, ranging from physical ailments to human errors. Despite my lack of interest in running another mile, I have committed to participating in the race as a means of confronting my past failures and overcoming the lingering mental demons that haunt me. Therefore, I continue to run because I derive pleasure from the activity. This behavior may be considered unusual or even psychotic. Consequently, I have decided to name this race “Psycho,” reflecting my current state of mind.


The initial week of February has been equally challenging. While my weight has gradually decreased (to 246 pounds on Sunday), I have been plagued by persistent cold and flu symptoms. As previously mentioned, I contracted a cold while running on frigid New Year’s Day. Since then, I have been nursing it back to health. However, my condition appeared to worsen. Last Sunday, after a grueling 6-mile run, I felt compelled to consult a doctor. As evidenced in the accompanying photograph, he prescribed me a combination of medications for an ear infection, sinus infection, and bronchitis. Two inhalers and two sets of pills were prescribed. Astonishingly, I was able to receive these treatments only a few days before a 50K race that is widely regarded as extremely grueling. Initially, I considered abandoning the race, but I viewed this as an additional challenge that I would undertake to overcome my lingering fear of quitting Superior.


Today, I completed my final dose of antibiotic treatment and departed for Kansas City. While my head feels light, I still experience chest congestion. However, I intend to try Psycho. I will finish my course of treatment. I extend my well wishes to those embarking on the trip and to those who were unable to join us. Your determination is inspiring, and we appreciate the presence of individuals like myself who enjoy long-distance running.


One final anecdote involves my girlfriend, who was with a client last week. She mentioned that her boyfriend had registered to participate in the 50K in Kansas City and the 100-mile race in September. The client, an elderly gentleman, approached her with a gentle touch and an honest, sincere voice, inquiring about the sanity of her boyfriend. This incident underscores the unique nature of our group. While we may be eccentric, we are predominantly a happy and resilient group capable of overcoming life’s challenges with confidence and enjoyment.


The dogs I am familiar with would have encountered significant difficulties running this past weekend. At least my girlfriend’s dogs prefer to engage in mud play rather than running through it. Nevertheless, the experience was enjoyable. As I awoke on Saturday morning, the sky was clear, and the temperature was favorable for those who entered the Psycho Wyco 50K. I was concerned about the weather, not only due to the course conditions, but also because on Monday, I finally visited a doctor to address my five-week-long head and chest issues. These issues were diagnosed as an ear infection, sinus infection, and bronchitis. After five days of antibiotic treatment and two inhalers, my breathing improved, although I still questioned the strength of my lungs and the impact of my five-day absence from exercise.


We departed from the motel at 7:00 a.m. and arrived at the park around 7:30 a.m. Parking was at capacity, necessitating that we park along the access road leading into the park. Upon setting up my drop bag at the station, I experienced a moment of panic. I had inadvertently left my inhaler at the hotel. My girlfriend was participating in the 5K race, and I chose not to inform her of this oversight, as she would have likely returned to retrieve it. (This was her first trail race, and she was visibly anxious.) I anticipated encountering any difficulties and believed I would meet her at the first split, where she could retrieve the inhaler and deliver it to me at one of the aid stations.


As the race commenced, I encountered Les, Julie, and Maria. It was a pleasure to see familiar faces. However, this was the only time we interacted with them during the race. The race commenced in an expansive open area that gradually transitioned into a congested corner as we entered the trails.


Approximately a mile into the race, we had dispersed and were able to run on a predominantly single-track trail. According to Garmin, my average pace was 14 minutes per mile, and I felt comfortable. The trail surface consisted of some ice and a moderate amount of mud. Surprisingly, based on the course description, several sections were runnable.


Approximately 7 miles into the race, I began to experience shortness of breath. I was concerned, as a severe hacking cough accompanied me. I recognized the necessity of carrying my inhaler to ensure my survival throughout the day. I completed the first loop comfortably within approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes. However, I noticed the absence of my girlfriend and was uncertain about the circumstances. After 20 minutes, I decided to proceed, assuming that I would maintain a moderate pace and potentially complete the race.


The second loop presented a formidable challenge. While the initial two miles were relatively manageable, the subsequent mud encountered became a significant obstacle. The mud was not merely mud; it resembled slick, slimy clay, making it an unavoidable impediment. Uneven slopes resulted in frequent falls, and at one point, I experienced severe breathing difficulties. In response, I sat down, gathered a portion of the mud, and formed it into a pot. It resembled clay. Each time I attempted to move my foot, I fervently hoped that my shoes and foot would emerge from the mud due to the incredible suction.


It is possible that a person of my weight, approximately 245 pounds, encountered deeper mud than others, but I found lifting my feet through the mud more arduous than running. As my breathing continued to deteriorate, I decided, around 16 miles in, that I would not complete the 50 K. My attempt had become futile. The only way to manage my breathing was to reduce my exertion.


Despite the challenges, I found some enjoyment in playing in the mud. The second loop took me 3 hours and 40 minutes, and I subsequently stopped. I was awarded a medal for completing 20 miles, which, on this course, I considered a significant achievement. I did not encounter Les, Julie, or Maria for the remainder of the day, but I eagerly anticipate their reports on the course and the day’s events.


As previously mentioned, I completed two loops and discontinued my run. Each loop presented a stark contrast to the course, transitioning from a challenging trail without ice to mud, ultimately testing my trail running abilities to the limit.


Running on a trail and running on the road are fundamentally different experiences. While this may seem obvious, I had a rude awakening on Saturday. I decided to run the road to work and then the trail home after work, intending to cover 4 miles on the road and 10 miles on the trail. However, during my run to work, I became fixated on the road, as if it were littered with rocks, roots, or other obstacles. Consequently, I strolled along and proceeded directly through the intersection where there was a stop sign, while the car did not stop. This close call left me shaken and reminded me that it had been a considerable amount of time since I had last run on the road. I felt a sense of embarrassment for my oversight.


My running regimen has been progressing satisfactorily, with an average weekly mileage exceeding 30 miles, combined with strength training sessions conducted four days a week. Additionally, I incorporate stationary cycling for approximately 70 to 100 miles and utilize the elliptical trainer. While maintaining a mindful approach to my diet, I have not experienced any weight loss in the past two weeks.


Despite these efforts, I remain committed to continuing my training regimen. I am confident that incorporating regular outdoor workouts will yield positive results. The quality of my workouts differs significantly from those performed outdoors.


In previous years, I have consistently engaged in outdoor running during the winter months. However, the recent onset of cold and congestion has made outdoor activities challenging. Furthermore, I have encountered difficulties in motivating myself to venture outdoors.


Despite these obstacles, I remain committed to my training goals and stay focused on my training regimen. While I prefer running on trails, my current preference may hinder my progress.


As the end of February approaches, warmer weather is expected to arrive. While a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius may be ideal, I am prepared to endure cooler temperatures during outdoor runs. I have recently increased my outdoor running frequency, which has provided a welcome respite from the treadmill.


The distinction between treadmill and outdoor running is evident, and this experience underscores the importance of incorporating diverse training methods for long-distance races. Treadmills, tracks, Buck Hill, trails, pavement, walking, and crawling all offer unique benefits and contribute to overall fitness.


Last year, one of the most memorable aspects of the Superior 100 was the increased emphasis on arm usage. I recall using my arms to assist myself up hills or to steady myself against trees. Currently, I have a steep hill on my lunch run that is experiencing some slippage. I am determined to overcome this challenge and engage in a comprehensive body workout to prevent myself from sliding down. The sensation of this workout is palpable in my arms and legs.


Training has consistently ranged from 7 to 10 miles, and I am feeling natural again. My weight remains in the high 240s, which seems unusual given that my diet has been monitored. While it could be improved, it is not detrimental to the overall experience. Regardless, I may need to take a day off.


I have observed that after a prolonged period of working out at least once, if not twice a day, taking two consecutive days off results in a weight loss of over 5 pounds. I experience water retention and have not taken a day off from running since February 13th, which equates to 15 consecutive days of at least 3 miles daily, with at least half of the runs exceeding 6 miles. During these 15 days, I have utilized the exercise bike and elliptical machine. Additionally, I have incorporated strength training three times a week, although it lacks a structured approach.


Therefore, I will not be overly concerned about my weight at this time. It is expected to decrease after a few weeks, and we will increase our outdoor activities.


I have been reading the blogs of other ultra-endurance athletes I have encountered, and there are numerous intriguing issues discussed. I have learned that this is a highly individual matter regarding what works and what does not. I always share my thoughts, but I emphasize the importance of independently testing various approaches to ensure accuracy. However, I have gained valuable insights from individuals who openly share their experiences, which is crucial for success. Feel free to experiment with your body and monitor its reactions.


In any case, I eagerly anticipate reuniting with you all on the trails. I propose organizing a weekly group run on Wednesday evenings along the Minnesota River once the spring flooding subsides. I am particularly fond of this trail, as it features some moderate hills, but not excessively challenging ones. I avoid extremely challenging hills, which I save for Buck Hill. 


However, I have received information that the mountain may be closed to walkers and runners following last year’s issues. It had become a popular destination, and the excessive vegetation caused by walkers and runners resulted in significant erosion problems in August. Therefore, I may need to consider an alternative mountain. The one at the Anderson Nature Center in Eden Prairie may be a suitable option.


Carry on…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...