Commencing the New Year with a run proved to be an excellent way to do so. Despite the sub-zero wind chills and the subsequent snowfall, my girlfriend informed me of the favorable weather conditions. I had anticipated traversing the Minnesota River Valley trails, but I was unaware of the substantial snow accumulation that had occurred during the previous month. I had assumed that walkers had created a well-defined trail, but this proved to be inaccurate.
While the scenery was undeniably beautiful, the mid-shin-deep snow at several locations presented a significant challenge. Despite this setback, I remained determined to complete my run. I maintained a pace of 13 minutes per mile, which was commendable considering the adverse conditions.
After an hour, I began to feel the cold. I faced a decision: continue with my loop or turn back. Mentally, I yearned to abandon the run, but physically, I was in good condition.
Despite my initial determination, I made a poor decision. The second half of my loop lacked adequate wind protection, and the wind was relentless. I was subjected to extreme cold. It took me ten miles in just under 2.5 hours, and I was sure that I would succumb to illness. Unfortunately, I did.
Over the next few days, I attempted to run through the illness. I was able to use the treadmill for four more days. However, on Saturday, I was unable to continue. Breathing became difficult, and I took the next four days off. Finally, I was able to breathe again. The warm weather will persist for a few more days before the cold returns.
Despite this setback, I am reconsidering my participation in the Psycho race in February. I will assess my progress over the next two weeks.
The preceding week was marked by fluctuations, much like the weather. I am unable to tolerate the cold and have reduced my outdoor activities due to a lingering cold. The dry conditions have been particularly challenging, with humidity levels consistently below 30%.
Indoor training has progressed satisfactorily. I have incorporated outdoor runs into my routine, including a six-mile run that was initially planned as a three-mile run. My girlfriend and I embarked on a run from her residence in Apple Valley, which unfortunately led us astray during the night. This marked my first road run in some time.
I have experienced an unprecedented level of energy, prompting me to stop and inquire with a person walking their dog for directions out of their neighborhood. The unfamiliar layout of the streets and the nonsensical order of street names left me feeling disoriented and embarrassed. While I initially attributed this lapse in judgment to my girlfriend’s proximity to the area, I reside in Bloomington.
I am optimistic about the potential for success. The four to six-mile runs have become an integral part of my daily routine. Additionally, I have incorporated exercise cycling into my regimen, cycling between 25 and 30 miles at least four times a week and consistently exceeding 20 miles per week. As I increase my mileage, I am proceeding at a gradual pace. Furthermore, I have incorporated weightlifting into my training regimen at least three times a week.
A significant impediment to my training regimen is my dual role as a United States Tennis Association Official and my second hobby, dancing. This dual responsibility demands a substantial time commitment, particularly on weekends when the official duties can extend into the evening. Last weekend, I officiated 40 out of a possible 52 hours. While this experience provides valuable training in maintaining functionality with minimal sleep, it typically precludes me from engaging in post-lunchtime exercise on Fridays and Saturdays. However, I acknowledge that everyone has their own commitments.
Fortunately, this weekend I am free and plan to indulge in my passion for dancing. I am particularly excited about attending two live music events this weekend. On Thursday, January 17, Allison Scott and Pamela McNeill will perform at Famous Dave’s in Uptown. This event promises to feature an exceptional pipe set and a captivating performance by several talented artists. You can find their MySpace pages and music samples online, but I assure you that you will be thoroughly impressed.
On Friday, January 18, Kurt Jorgenson will be the musical guest at Minnesota Music Café. If you are unfamiliar with him, he is a highly skilled guitarist known for his sound, which is inspired by Rob Thomas. His work is truly exceptional.
Earlier this month, our office participated in a crockpot contest, and I intend to use Julie Berg’s recipe for “halushkis.” She described these dumplings as “a delightful potato-flour dumpling, infused with bacon and cabbage.” If I emerge victorious in the contest, I am obligated to provide the measuring spoon prize.
If you haven't yet had the opportunity to experience Julie Berg’s culinary creations, we highly recommend engaging with her blog posts at http://julieberg.blogspot.com/. Her recipes, along with her inspiring stories and uplifting messages, will undoubtedly captivate your attention.
In preparation for the upcoming competition, my girlfriend and I dedicated several hours to preparing a crockpot dish using potatoes. Despite the meticulous process, I experienced a moment of doubt during the preparation, fearing that I might not achieve the desired outcome.
With 20 other entrants, I have never secured a position in the top 15 in this event over the past 13 years, having made six previous attempts. However, this year, I was fortunate enough to win a bronze medal.
The dish was enhanced with a bacon and cabbage mixture, resulting in a significantly different taste. While the awards are paper medals, I was additionally awarded a bottle of balsamic vinegar. The dish received widespread acclaim, with participants expressing their appreciation for its health benefits, which I intended to be humorous.
In approximately five weeks, we will resume regular outdoor cycling. My girlfriend generously gifted me a used Cannondale SR 400 street bike equipped with various enhancements. I eagerly anticipate embarking on long rides once more. Last year, I successfully endured extended periods without a car, which was an enjoyable experience. This new bike is expected to offer a more comfortable and efficient cycling experience compared to my previous mountain bike.
My current weight is 250.5 pounds, which aligns with my planned weekly weight loss of 2.5 pounds per week. At this pace, I anticipate being prepared for the 50K race in Kansas City in February. I am filled with excitement and optimism about the upcoming event.
Despite my best efforts, this week’s weight loss of only 0.5 pounds was unexpected. While I feel lighter and stronger, I am concerned about the potential for swelling due to intense workouts, such as cycling and running. Occasionally, a day of rest can result in significant weight loss, which I find perplexing.
I will not be overly preoccupied with weight fluctuations. I am focused on maintaining a healthy lifestyle and overcoming the lingering effects of a recent cold.
While many ultra-marathon snowshoers enjoy the sport, I’ve never developed a particular affinity for it. Despite my weight, I’d inevitably sink, so I prefer outdoor running on roads.
I’m still recovering from a persistent cold that’s plagued me all year. The coughing and wheezing are uncomfortable, but I’m determined to persevere. Last week, I increased my mileage to 27 miles, though it’s modest compared to many participants. I also cycled 100 miles. My progress is gradual, but I’ve learned that consistent, steady advancement is the most effective.
I’m excited about the upcoming races. I’m committed to participating in the 50K race in Kansas City on February 9. My girlfriend will be with a lifelong friend at the finish line. The race is expected to be challenging, so I’ll continue training, including increasing my pace and mileage, while anticipating the return of the trials.
On the final Sunday of the month, I experienced favorable weather conditions, which facilitated enjoyable runs and a weight measurement of 248.6 pounds. Notably, I have surpassed the 30-mile mark, although this achievement may not be significant to my social circle. My approach is to progress gradually.
In addition to my three-day weekly lifting routine and weekly cycling of 50-70 miles, I have incorporated runs and half of my outdoor miles, totaling 34.9 miles. Notably, I have discovered that running distances of five miles or more have become effortless, a change from my previous challenges.
Fortunately, I have not experienced any pain, which is a positive sign. I believe that the emotional toll of quitting the Superior 100 at 77 miles was more significant than any other experience I have encountered.
I feel good, so I registered for the 50 PsychoWyco race on February 9. It should be fun, and I plan to make it an easy 8-hour run. I have never run a race there before, but there's a 10-hour limit, which will surprise me unless the course is challenging.
So, I went for a run on Monday, and guess what? It rained! Can you believe it? Rain in January? It was crazy! The drops were huge, not just a little drizzle or sleet. It was proper rain, and you could see it on the sidewalk as I finished my run.
No comments:
Post a Comment