Tuesday, November 21, 2023

An upsetting event

In my previous post, I had mentioned that I had decided to retire at the age of 61 due to the premature passing of several friends. On November 1, 2023, I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of another dear coworker, Rebecca “Becky” Schindler (Robertson), at the age of 50.

Our paths crossed in 1996 when Becky was still a college student. We hired her as an intern, and I had the pleasure of working with her extensively during that summer. Becky possessed exceptional talent and dedication. Upon her graduation, we offered her a full-time position, and she remained with us throughout her career. Becky’s unwavering commitment to her family was truly admirable. She consistently demonstrated a strong work ethic and stayed with the same employer for her entire professional career. Her impact on me and many others has been profoundly positive.

Becky and I developed a close friendship and became excellent colleagues. I witnessed her personal growth, including her marriage and the birth of two wonderful children. Last year, I had the honor of attending her first child’s high school graduation. Regrettably, her second child will not be able to experience this milestone with her mother. This situation is profoundly sad. While I strive to find the positive aspects in this challenging world, it is becoming increasingly complex.

Becky was profoundly religious and a staunch conservative. Despite our differing political views, we engaged in meaningful conversations that often elicited strong reactions from both of us. However, she was a remarkable friend, even amidst our disagreements. We respected each other and cared for one another. I will deeply miss her. It is rare to encounter individuals who possess such a profound sense of mutual respect in our conversations. When we find ourselves on opposite sides of the political spectrum, it is disheartening to witness the prevalence of hatred.

It is crucial to recognize that our time on earth is finite. Therefore, we should embrace each day as if it were our last while simultaneously planning for the future, the following year, the next decade, and beyond.

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...