Friday, May 11, 2018

Odor - mental health trigger?

Spring has arrived, bringing warmth and a scent that instantly transports me back in time, both fondly and with a bittersweet nostalgia. Simple sensory cues, like the smell of spring air, a farm, or even rain, can trigger complex emotions and memories. I researched this because my mental health can be altered or triggered by smells.

Interestingly, incoming smells are first processed by the olfactory bulb, located at the base of the brain. It has direct connections to the amygdala and hippocampus. However, visual, auditory, and tactile information do not pass through these brain areas, which may be why olfaction successfully triggers emotions and memories more than any other sense.

Smells trigger vivid emotional memories and are more effective at inducing them. Scientists found that memories evoked by odors are linked to increased brain activity in areas associated with visual vividness. Smells can also trigger negative emotions, especially in individuals with PTSD. Growing up on a farm, I have some harsh memories that impact me mentally. I once cooked grass-fed meat and was emotionally ill eating it. I smelled the same smell of beef from my childhood, which challenged me mentally.

I recalled a Vietnam veteran who had issues with the smell of diesel. It brought back intense war memories, guilt, and helplessness. He vividly saw the burning vehicle, open doors, and billows of fire and smoke. I initially thought little of it, but now I understand the impact of smells on emotions.

As I discuss this, people tend to agree. Some say relationship attraction is more about appearance and aroma, which are crucial to relationships. A friend noticed that his desire decreased when his girlfriend changed perfumes, and the perfumes of other women didn’t smell like his. I’ve started recognizing smells that cause anger, helplessness, and similar issues. I need to document calming scents that increase happiness. Mastering the smells that benefit or hinder us will improve our lives.

I’ve been off blood thinners, but still have significant anemia. I get regular infusions and limit omeprazole due to side effects. I watch my diet for better results. I have another heart scan scheduled, which I assume is okay.

Oh my gosh, work is a crazy whirlwind right now! I’ve been working around 70 hours a week for the past couple of weeks, and it looks like we might be in for a few more weeks like that. Additionally, half the team is currently enjoying paternity leave. We’re still a bit short-staffed compared to 2006, and we’re really hoping to bring on one more person when everyone else reaches that level or even higher. Ugh! And then, when people can’t get the help they need quickly, it gets frustrating. It’s like they think I’m not doing my job when it takes a day to get back to them. As of this morning, while I’m waiting in a clinic for a medical procedure, I have over 150 work emails in my inbox. I’ve tried to sort them out, but some that came in five days ago are still waiting for a reply—it’s a bit of a bummer, but it’s the reality. I’m thinking about retiring, but that’s still over five years away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...