Thursday, January 18, 2018

A long road ahead!

July 7, 2017, will forever be etched in my memory as the day I should have perished. It was a Friday, and I had returned to work after a nearly two-week absence. That day, I had to ascend the second floor, and as I reached the top, I felt a wave of dizziness and thought I might faint. 


Throughout the day, I continued to experience significant calf stiffness, a recurring issue that had persisted for 18 months and worsened over the two weeks preceding July 7. A week prior, I had almost been unable to walk due to excruciating calf pain. I had resorted to a deep massage with a massager to alleviate the discomfort. That night, I drove home feeling dizzy and unwell. I was wheezing and struggling to breathe, and I was drenched in a cold sweat on the couch.


With the worsening symptoms, I visited urgent care, but they refused to treat me. Instead, they promptly transferred me to the emergency room. As previously mentioned, upon my arrival, I was swiftly moved to the front of the line and underwent an EKG, ultrasound, and CT scan. The results revealed numerous blood clots in both my legs and lungs.


I find it perplexing that so many issues have arisen, yet I have managed to survive them. The Doctor even acknowledged that I should have perished. The medical community is perplexed by my survival despite the numerous clots in my lungs.


Due to the prolonged delay in seeking medical attention, I am concerned about the possibility of a pulmonary infarct, which would result in the death of a portion of my lung due to a lack of oxygen supply. Despite the administration of blood thinners, I continue to experience pain and may face lifelong challenges in managing my condition. In the event of an accident, I am at risk of severe complications, including internal bleeding or a brain hemorrhage. These potential risks are a constant source of anxiety for me. 


The date of July 7, 2017 (or the 8th when the gravity of the situation became apparent), will forever remain etched in my memory as the day I should have succumbed to my condition.


"Every year, more people die from preventable blood clots than from breast cancer, AIDS, and traffic accidents combined," said Dr. Samuel Goldhaber, Chairman of the Venous Disease Coalition. "It is so important to raise awareness about DVT and PE because although blood clots are common, few Americans have sufficient knowledge about blood clots and how to prevent them." The most recent statistics show that one person dies every 6 minutes in the United States from blood clots.


The Vascular Disease Foundation urges Americans to learn about the risks of venous blood clots to help prevent these deaths. DVT occurs when a blood clot forms in the deep veins, usually of the pelvis or leg. DVT can be dangerous in two ways.


First, DVT can be fatal if a blood clot dislodges from the leg veins, travels through the heart, and lodges in the lung arteries. This complication, known as pulmonary embolism (PE), results in approximately 100,000 to 180,000 deaths annually in the United States.


Secondly, blood clots can cause permanent damage to the veins, leading to long-term leg pain, heaviness, and swelling in as many as half of DVT survivors. This condition, referred to as post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS) or “chronic venous insufficiency,” can significantly impair an individual’s quality of life.


In addition to grappling with the persistent question of “why did God allow me to live,” I have experienced significant discomfort while walking. At times, it becomes exceedingly challenging to move my legs. I remain hopeful that there are no long-term complications, but my confidence is gradually diminishing. I must take each step one at a time. Furthermore, each step is becoming increasingly complex.


Fortunately, I recently had my Bionx D500 wheel rebuilt. This should alleviate my concerns during the summer riding season. Last summer, I had broken well over nine spokes, and the lacing was unreliable. Relaxing the wheel is exceptionally difficult due to the motor. Factory lacing should be stable.


I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to ride my bike to work. I felt significantly better when I could do so in August and September.


On another positive note, my son recently purchased a condo in a desirable location, Breckenridge, Colorado. This year, I plan to take two or three one-week trips to escape and relax. While I assume he would not request that I cover the expenses for these stays, I will treat them as if they were low-cost hotel accommodations, which he welcomes, as he rarely returns home from Monday through Thursday, and I am financially able to take these trips. Although it is not an inexpensive hotel, it is one of the finest in the city. The views are exceptional, biking is incredible, there are slightly inclined paths, and the town is open during the summer months.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...