Thursday, October 26, 2017

111 days

Eleven months ago, I embarked on a challenging medical journey that would test my resilience. On that day, I was hospitalized due to a severe condition known as Deep Vein Thrombosis, which resulted in multiple Pulmonary Embolisms and anemia. It is a testament to the power of medical intervention that I am still alive today.


The experience has left me with profound questions, such as “Why me?” Since my diagnosis, I have learned about two other individuals who shared similar circumstances and tragically passed away. The mystery of my survival remains unsolved, leaving me with a sense of bewilderment.


The prolonged hospital stay was not ideal, and I made every effort to expedite my discharge. On the fourth day, I requested that the medical staff find a way to transport me home, as I had planned to remain in the hospital for a limited period. They complied with my request, and since then, I have attended numerous appointments, making it difficult to keep track of the exact number. When there is a day without an appointment, I am left wondering what I missed.


To obtain a comprehensive diagnosis, several iron infusions and medical procedures have been performed. The final list of issues I am currently facing includes:

  • Deep vein thrombosis – both legs
  • Multiple Pulmonary Embolisms—I asked what that meant, and the Doctor said there were more than they could count.
  • Eosinophilic esophagitis (Minor)
  • Angioectasias—I learned that Angioectasias are aberrant blood vessels found within the gastrointestinal lumen.  They are a common source of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding and are acquired lesions compared with other vascular lesions of the gastrointestinal tract.
  • Iron deficiency anemia due to chronic blood loss (definitely in the stomach and intestines)
  • Drug-induced autoimmune hemolytic anemia
  • Hiatal Hernia: The diaphragm is a large, dome-shaped muscle that separates your chest cavity from your abdomen.  Typically, your esophagus passes into your stomach through an opening in the diaphragm known as the hiatus.  Hiatal hernias occur when the muscle tissue surrounding this opening weakens, and the upper part of your stomach bulges up through the diaphragm into your chest cavity.  It’s not always clear why this happens, but pressure on the stomach and age-related changes in the diaphragm may contribute to the formation of a hiatal hernia. 

Since leaving the hospital, I’ve been making steady progress, but also facing setbacks. Yesterday, I underwent another procedure that involved cauterizing some bleeding areas. The doctor also noticed some new abnormal growth in my esophagus and performed biopsies. I’m eagerly awaiting the results of these tests.


One positive change is that my hemoglobin level has improved to 15.1 g/dL. This is a significant improvement, especially considering that I’ve had only one iron infusion every 16 days, with a total of eight infusions since July 7. My INR, a measure of blood clotting, has remained stable over the past month, ranging from 2.4 to 2.9. Overall, I feel better, but the doctors still advise caution. Maintaining a consistent intake of Vitamin K through my diet is a concern.


I’m both disappointed and grateful that I didn’t reach my goal of 2,000 bike miles this year. While I’ve had as many as 4,200 miles in the past and consistently exceeded 2,000, I’ll end the year with about 1,800 miles. Given the medical setback, I can accept this result, which is better than no progress at all. However, I’ve had some enjoyable rides, and I’ve included the links below for your reference.


16.94 miles in 54:29 - 18.7 MPH

17 miles in 1:01:33 - 16.6 MPH

19.65 miles in 1:19:10 - 14.9 MPH


So, I’ve reached the 111th day. According to the Doctor, I should have another 90 days before we can determine if there’s any long-term damage from the pulmonary embolisms.


Today, I’m on my way to help my son move. He’s leaving the congested tourist trap he’s called home since August 2007, Golden, Colorado. Golden has been his home base for over a decade, except for his time in Germany. He’s purchased a condo in Breckenridge, Colorado, and he’ll make that his new home base. Will he enjoy Breckenridge? It’s a lovely town that I would hate in the winter due to its overcrowding, but I love it in the summer. Will he allow me to visit him often?


Anyway, that’s the update.  I hope all is well for anyone who reads this.  I still ask, “Why me?” as I carry on—like all the quiet dreamers, I carry on


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction
Wow! How did you even find out you had all of that? I am just starting back to reading...wondering if you had any symptoms. Good luck with everything. Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 3:31:37 PM CST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...