As previously mentioned, my weekly International Normalized Ratio (INR) check showed 2.6, then dropped to 1.7, and later increased to 2.7, only to be 2.1 recently. On the positive side, I managed to maintain an INR above 2.0 in three of the last four weeks.
I received the Iron Injectafer treatment on the 6th and have another scheduled for Friday. Although the treatment is relatively short, lasting only 15 minutes, I didn’t feel as rejuvenated afterward as I did after the 2.5-hour infusions I had previously undergone. The therapy aims to raise my iron level by 2 to 2.5 points per treatment. We’ll have to wait and see the results in a few weeks.
As I have been diagnosed with Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism, my employer has upgraded my desk to a stand-up desk. I stand for a considerable portion of my workday. It’s an Ergotron Work Fit-TL, Sit-Stand Desktop Workstation. Initially, my back was sore for the first week, but I persevered and made sure to wear compression socks. Surprisingly, standing has reduced my mental fatigue, and I don’t feel the urge to nap in the afternoon.
I’ve been riding my bicycle a bit more, although not as much as I would like. I need to be cautious and avoid putting too much strain on my body, and I’m working hard to maintain my balance.
Since my preferred 12.8-mile route is currently under construction, I’ll settle for the 17.6-mile route for now. I’m enjoying the longer route more because the road is much better, and the hill climbs are more gradual. This morning, the fog limited visibility to under 500 feet. Here are a few example Strava links of my rides:
A 17.3-mile ride to work - https://www.strava.com/activities/1178892090
A 44.5 mile ride - https://www.strava.com/activities/1143854942
I’ve also been pleased to notice that I’ve lost a pound or less each week before my INR check. I’m not dieting; I’m primarily focused on managing my medication and maintaining a healthy eating routine to address my health issues. So, this weight loss is a nice bonus.
Additionally, I assisted my girlfriend’s future son-in-law in constructing a fire pit in his backyard. In my opinion, the result was quite satisfactory.
Due to my illness, I’ve been working fewer hours and taking fewer weekends off. As a result, people have been asking me to help them with various activities. I’m so exhausted that I yearn to go to work because it’s less physically demanding.
This past weekend was the Superior 100 trail race. I’ve been running the course and volunteering for several years. However, I haven’t attended the race for the past three years and miss being a part of the event. Two things have driven me away. First, there’s the allure of the smaller race, where you get to know most of the runners and spend time supporting them. Just like any well-organized race, the Superior Trail 100 has experienced exponential growth. It’s grown even more over the past three years. My last year was particularly unpleasant because hundreds of people now go through the aid station, and as a volunteer, I had to endure four to six hours of chaos, which was not enjoyable.
Hey, the running community could really use another fall 100-mile race to ease the pressure on the Superior Trail 100! There’s such a buzz around it that they even have a lottery for entrants, which is both a blessing and a bit of a headache. However, if there were a smaller race in Minnesota in September with only 50 spots, it would definitely take some of the heat off, and I’d be thrilled to volunteer!
Another reason I decided to quit the ST 100 was that one of the really dedicated runners wasn’t too happy when someone wanted to schedule a competing race. When I supported such a race, that person even threatened to “punch me in the face” to shut me up! It’s just that some of the most amazing supporters can be a bit rough around the edges.
The race organizer was pretty diplomatic and didn’t openly oppose a competing race. That’s because the principal organizer is one of the most thoughtful people I know. Like with anything, your other supporters and friends who are a bit of a bully can sometimes push people away. Again, another person who’s a regular at the Superior Races took it upon himself to alienate many, so I (and, recently, two others) decided to stop supporting the race solely because of that one person. I miss the fall trip, though!
Anyway, I’m still working on getting my health in shape and seeing where that takes me in the next few months. That’s all that’s really important right now.


No comments:
Post a Comment