Prednisone, a synthetic corticosteroid medication, is employed to address a diverse range of medical conditions. During my treatment period from 2009 to 2013, I utilized Prednisone to manage various infections. Notably, I experienced fluid accumulation within the brain and ocular inflammation.
In essence, prednisone mimics the body’s natural hormones, which are produced by the adrenal glands. When administered in substantial doses, Prednisone effectively suppresses inflammation. Additionally, it is commonly referred to as the “pregnant zone” due to its significant impact on weight gain.
After discontinuing Prednisone for over two years, I have observed a gradual return to normalcy.
The withdrawal process I experienced indicates that my body and brain developed a dependency on Prednisone for daily functioning. Although I was not prescribed a high dose, the dosage was between 30 and 40 mg per day.
When I discontinued Prednisone abruptly, I experienced significant withdrawal symptoms. It is widely understood that the body requires time to resume its natural production of cortisol. Cortisol stimulates gluconeogenesis (glucose formation), activating antistress and anti-inflammatory pathways. For several years, I have experienced significant inflammatory issues, which I believe may have been a significant contributing factor. Additionally, I have several other issues that I suspect are related to Prednisone withdrawal, including:
- Weight gain is the most dreaded side effect of steroid use. In addition to causing weight gain, Prednisone induces a redistribution of body fat to undesirable areas, particularly the face, back of the neck, and abdomen. I have never been heavier than when I was on or coming off Prednisone!
- My recent history of intense abdominal pain is a common withdrawal symptom. The pain when I stopped taking Prednisone was debilitating at times. Now, it is just a little pain, occasionally.
- I often felt depressed! My anxiety level was sky-high. My son was driven nuts by my anxiety, yet I could never tell him of the issues I was having. It is my problem, not his.
- The worst has been severe body aches. I felt, at times, I was unable to move.
- As part of three withdrawals, I would have dizziness at a life-impacting level.
- The most pressing issue was fatigue. I am expected to deal with extreme fatigue and low energy levels, as I no longer have adequate amounts of cortisol to provide the body with energy.
- Although I do not currently experience headaches, I have had instances in the past few years where even a simple blink could cause significant discomfort.
- Additionally, I have experienced suicidal thoughts. While I never contemplated taking the final step, I would rush across a bridge as I contemplated leaping off the side. This was particularly distressing when I discontinued Prednisone use.
- Another frustrating issue was muscle weakness and a general sense of malaise.
Having extensively researched Prednisone withdrawal, I have observed that in certain instances, it can take up to 12 to 24 months for a complete recovery to occur and the body to return to its natural state of homeostasis. At the age of 28 months, I am cautiously optimistic that an end is in sight. I am hopeful that my assessment is accurate and that the situation will improve in 2017. However, only time will provide definitive answers.
No comments:
Post a Comment