A few weeks ago, I had one ride to work (17.7 miles one way) before the weather turned cold again. The ride was slow and somewhat depressing, given my current fitness level. I struggled with an average speed of 13 MPH, despite the notable wind. I opted not to ride the Bionx because the battery was deteriorating and would not suffice for the trip. The additional weight on the bike without the electric assist was not feasible.
To regain some use and improve my fitness, I decided to upgrade the battery. I plan to ride the electric bike one day and the road bike the next until I lose weight and become strong enough to ride without assistance. I researched and found a powerful battery (37 Volt) that could be used on my bike. However, it was a demo model and cost $750, which is significantly less than the comparable $1,050 for the battery I previously used (24 Volt). Therefore, I installed the upgrade and hope the weather will be favorable this week so that I can ride at least once. The low temperature is 35 degrees, and the high temperature is 55 degrees, which may be one day before rain for the rest of the week.
It took two weekends, but my son has settled in his new place in Golden. I am envious of the location and unit. It is charming, and I hope he is content there. He has decorated it well! He and I built two tables for the bedroom and an entertainment stand made of old wood from my father’s farm. He conceived the designs, and we could create them together. It is enjoyable to engage in such activities together. My ability and confidence to do things with him have diminished as I age. This was a pleasant experience.
|
|
It was also pleasant to leave the office without incurring vacation time loss. Last year, I lost approximately 60 hours of vacation. I anticipate losing more this fall unless I take some time off. I am considering flying to Denver every other month to spend time with my son, provided he is agreeable.
Regarding physical health, I have a significant challenge with pain. Recently, I watched the Barkley Marathon movie, and a quote from one of the finishers resonated with me. He stated that all the pain makes pain-free time more enjoyable. I wholeheartedly agree. Most of the pain is attributed to my limited flexibility. My heightened awareness of the necessity of stretching should be beneficial. Only time will reveal the outcome. One consistent factor remains that weight loss will be advantageous.




No comments:
Post a Comment