The past year has been challenging, as I have lacked the motivation to engage in physical activities such as running or cycling. I have been cycling for approximately half of the year, and it is more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. It is a task that I complete, similar to commuting to work or home.
On Saturday, September 19, I celebrated my 53rd birthday. I jokingly self-diagnosed myself as dyslexic, and I am currently 35 years old. Interestingly, I am in a period where living is not as arduous as it was in my earlier years. I do not harbor concerns about losing my job or being unable to provide for my family. I also lack the desire to improve myself. Some individuals attribute this to a common issue among middle-aged men, while others suggest that it may be a problem that led to my loss of interest in activities that once brought me great joy.
As I approached the weekend, my outlook was positive. This past week, I considered resuming running, albeit gradually and with small objectives, to get outdoors and alleviate my self-doubt.
My 53rd birthday was initially promising. Numerous colleagues at work extended their well-wishes on Friday, their sincerity being a refreshing experience. Saturday was equally enjoyable. During the day, my son and I visited the bicycle shop, the German festival, and the Apple Store. Later that evening, my girlfriend prepared a delicious dinner and a delectable carrot cake, my personal favorite.
However, Sunday morning dawned at 6:00 AM, prompting me to prepare for a group bike ride. This was a three-generational, 32-mile bike ride that balanced various interests. While it presented challenges and elicited some frustration, I managed to dismiss them and focus on enjoying my birthday weekend.
As the day progressed, I endeavored to maintain a positive demeanor in a particular situation, only to be met with harsh criticism reminiscent of a two-year-old. This unpleasant encounter severely dampened the positive emotions I had been experiencing. Instantly, the desire to engage in running dissipated, leaving me in a state of stagnation akin to the months preceding. I grappled with the profound impact of mean-spirited words on my psychological well-being, notably how they could diminish the joy I was beginning to experience. While I may never fully comprehend the reasons behind this, I recognize the error in allowing such negativity to persist.
In retrospect, I recall valuable lessons learned during my collegiate years. It is imperative to cultivate mental fortitude and refrain from dwelling on self-pity or the treatment I have endured. Instead, I must assume responsibility for my actions and comprehend that life is not always devoid of challenges or inequities. I must cease allowing others to exert control over me, as I did this evening. Tonight, I succumbed to an inappropriate sense of vengeance in my attempt to be benevolent, thereby granting someone else dominion over me.
Furthermore, I must cease complaining about uncontrollable factors, such as lost luggage or traffic congestion. Instead, I have focused on the aspects of my life that I can influence. I must recognize that I am not obligated to please everyone. I am empowered to decline requests or assert myself when necessary, and if this offends, so be it. While I strive to be kind, I cannot tolerate the anger that arises when my efforts to bring happiness to others are met with hostility.
Regardless of the outcome, I am weary of numerous burdens. I must conduct a thorough evaluation of my past and present circumstances to determine my future course of action. My subsequent post will likely convey a more optimistic outlook. My writing frequency has diminished due to the scarcity of favorable information to share. Let us join together in prayer for a positive transformation.
No comments:
Post a Comment