I completed another 2-mile run, which was relatively enjoyable. While the process was somewhat unpleasant, the sense of accomplishment upon completion was gratifying. The Strassburg sock has proven beneficial in alleviating Plantar Fasciitis (PF) symptoms, although I experience a peculiar toe pain in the morning. Despite this, I would prioritize the toe pain over the morning PF pain.
Larry and Colleen Pedersen can benefit from a tennis match next weekend. My son’s visiting from Colorado, and I’ll miss it. If you want to meet great people, help them, and burn off post-Thanksgiving calories, check it out!
A friend suggested the Wild West Relay. If I return next year, I might have my son and others try it. It’s 36 legs and 200 miles, with several 7-12 team runners. Entry is about $1,300. I like the Flatliners (all runners live below 2,500 feet). Minnesota qualifies! They have structured formats, such as Helter Skelter, where anyone can run whatever they can. Leave Fort Collins and head to Wyoming, then southwest, over the mountains! Any interest?
Consider the Colorado Relay for a shorter race. Both sound exciting! This event can motivate me. I have a few weeks to work at least 70 hours, so I’ll tackle one week at a time. Have a great Thanksgiving and take care of yourselves. Before I start, a cartoon sent to me by a friend puts all this talk about the "pat down" in a different perspective. See to the right.
I lose my memory after a third week of 75-80 hour workweeks, including Saturdays and Sundays, with over 26 hours on those days on successive weekends. I used to worry, but I no longer do. Remarkably, people tell me what I accomplished, and I look at them like, “Where have I been?”
Like the 2008 ST 100 attempt, I recall so much of the race until about 4 a.m. (20 hours after the start). Then the memories fade, and by the 25th hour, I am totally unaware of what happened. My mind just shut down. When I quit at 28 hours, my mind regained control of the body, and that was the end.
In these long weeks, I have found the same thing. I go into autopilot. I float along. I am much more productive when I am aware of my surroundings. It is an interesting phenomenon. It would be interesting to study it. However, I sadly do not recall who I spoke to or what I said. This could be dangerous. However, the consensus of others is that my facts are significantly accurate and that I can answer much more detailed questions on the fly. This is just strange.
Taking an extra vitamin B12 supplement can help reduce this activity. I used to take a Multiple B vitamin daily, but I’ve been skipping it lately. I should consider taking it for two weeks and tracking my progress, as I have two more challenging weeks ahead before returning to a 50-hour workweek. Sometimes it’s frustrating, but I’m glad to work through this job difficulty. Many friends would love to be in my situation, so I’m not complaining; it's just the facts.
I just read a sad article about Mike Broderick, who was 53 when he passed away on November 4, 2010. He was a remarkable athlete, having completed the Western States 100 in August, the 50K Green Lakes Endurance Run, and a marathon and half-marathon in September. Sadly, he battled aggressive lung cancer.
Mike, a lawyer, decided to pursue his passions for running, coaching, and teaching. His knowledge of running was so extensive that he became a sought-after coach. I only had the chance to meet him once, and he reminded me of myself with a bit of a lack of tact, but we were also funny and charismatic. There’s that remarkable trait of finding happiness in running, no matter the outcome—whether you’re first, last, or somewhere in between.
One website posted an email from Mike that read:
"It turns out that the shortness of breath and other symptoms I have been experiencing over the past several weeks are not due to pneumonia. I apparently have lung cancer and am now in the process of further testing and evaluation to determine the extent to which it may have spread and to begin a course of treatment."
He died just weeks later.
As we age, we all come to perceive life as inherently precious. It is during such moments that I find myself compelled to reflect upon my own reflection, not as a fat, unfit runner, but as an individual who has been granted another breath, step, and moment to either cherish or squander.
I want to close with a story I heard today:
Carry on, my friends, carry on!
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.

No comments:
Post a Comment