Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A delayed post

I scheduled this update to be published during a few hours of a surgery I am undergoing. It has been a considerable amount of time since my last post, and there is a valid reason for that. I experienced an epiphany and underwent two extraordinary weeks of rigorous exercise. Subsequently, I fell ill. In summary, several MRIs and CT scans revealed significant medical issues. These findings may be related to many of my long-standing complaints.


Since 2007, I have been visiting my doctor every four months, expressing a wide range of symptoms. For several years, I was prescribed antibiotics regularly. My vitamin D levels were low, and I underwent numerous chest examinations due to chest congestion and other bothersome side effects. 


In January, I experienced severe vision loss in my left eye when I lay down. It took several minutes for the vision to clear after standing up, and I could see clearly again. This condition progressively worsened, and in March, it required a 30-minute effort after a night’s sleep to see in the morning. Numerous specialists have been attempting to identify the underlying cause of this ongoing issue. 


I underwent an MRI of my head, which revealed the most severe long-term sinus infection the specialist has ever encountered. The infection had spread to the eye socket, and a minor infection of the brain was also suspected. The specialist initially believed the condition would be debilitating, but it did not affect my ability to perform physical activities, such as running 50-mile races, despite my obesity.


This untreated (99% closure of all sinuses, with one fused) resulted in an infection of the left eye socket from the fused and closed ethmoid sinus. The eyelid became noticeably swollen and droopy. There is a growth behind the left eye socket, likely caused by the infection. I nearly experienced a stroke.


My general physician apologized several times for missing these symptoms over the years and reaching this point when I underwent the pre-operative physical examination. I had headaches and pain, but learned to manage them. Despite the infection, the doctors pressed on my face, which was a nuisance but did not cause pain.


At the time of this post, I should be undergoing surgery to remove the growth, grind some bone, examine the membrane behind the eye for any issues, clean out the sinuses, and hope that the eye functions properly afterward. There will be weeks of recovery, and I am uncertain when I will be able to post again. Regardless, I hope that this is part of the long-term issues I have experienced with weight, fatigue, stiffness, and many other symptoms, which are clearly side effects of the problems the surgery is intended to resolve.


On a positive note, my son will be visiting for the summer. He was here for a few days but will be in Germany for a month before returning to the United States for eight weeks. Last Tuesday, when I went to pick him up, a snowstorm was in Denver. Despite the 70-degree weather, there was snow on the ground. We had to drive at approximately 20 miles per hour on the highway due to the hazardous conditions.




Although I could conclude by stating that I must depart, the delay option prevents me from doing so immediately. However, it is time for me to leave for the hospital, and I will publish this post later.


Carry on my friends!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


brothergrub
Best wishes for a speedy recovery - I hope this is the turning point you have been waiting for - Be Well!!  Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 1:30:43 PM CDT
Diane
Londell,  My prayers are with you through surgery and recovery. This proves to be the answer to all that has ailed you in recent years!  Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 1:35:18 PM CDT
Kel
Wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Get well soon!  Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 3:51:03 PM CDT
Mike W.
Best of luck with the surgery and the recovery. Hope to see you on the trails later this year. Heal well, recover quickly.  Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 8:47:09 PM CDT
Steve
Londell, I hope this surgery sets you on a path to permanent recovery and a return to ultramarathoning. You've been sorely missed! I wish you the best of luck and health!  Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 10:52:39 PM CDT
SteveQ
Best of luck, Londell. Good news about your son coming, though!  Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 10:29:57 AM CDT
Beth
I'm thinking about you and I hope that the surgery goes well and that you are on your way to recovery. So many little clues but who would think they would all add up to such an infection? I hope this puts you on the road to feeling like yourself again. Take care.  Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 3:20:44 PM CDT


No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer vanishes

The summer vanished in a blur of relentless caregiving for Shelley and constantly entertaining the grandkids. Shelley hosts what is called C...