Thursday, April 8, 2010

I need an EPIPHANY

After an extended hiatus, I am pleased to share a brief update on my well-being. The arrival of spring has infused me with renewed joy and a more optimistic outlook.


Before delving into the title, I would like to provide an update on my physical fitness regimen. I have been incorporating running and cycling into my daily routine, and my leg strength has noticeably improved. Although I occasionally experience morning soreness, it is minimal and does not pose any significant concerns. In the past few weeks, I have completed several bike rides exceeding 30 miles in a single day.


While my progress is encouraging, I recognize the need for a significant boost in my motivation and direction. I am seeking an epiphany, a moment of profound insight that will propel me forward. As we all have experienced, such moments can transform our lives.


You know, that time in your life when something strange happens that has a long-term impact on your life. A single momentary act that has more power than anything we could imagine. An Epiphany! That is what I call it.


Epiphany is defined as "a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience."


Many individuals associate epiphanies with religious experiences. The Western Christian tradition commences on January 6th as Epiphany Day. However, this event is also recognized by various cultural names. In Hispanic or Latin American cultures and numerous European regions, it is commonly referred to as Three Kings Day. Epiphany holds diverse religious connotations.


Throughout my life, I have experienced numerous epiphanies. The initial kiss from an individual who surpassed my social status significantly enhanced my self-esteem. The profound gaze of a person on the brink of death, whose life was tragically cut short by a severe car accident, left an indelible impression on me. The final words of wisdom imparted by my 99-year-old grandfather, who had lived a full and fulfilling life, resonated deeply within me. Holding my infant child for the first time marked the day when I finally comprehended the complexities of Quantum Mechanics during my college studies.


In 2006, I met a friend who profoundly impacted my life, much like an epiphany. I am deeply grateful to her for illuminating the brighter aspects of life. She consistently reached out to me, ensuring my well-being during a challenging period characterized by both physical and emotional hardships. Her adept handling of her recent personal struggles, including the loss of her husband, instilled strength within me. She inspired me to undertake endeavors that I had previously deemed impossible. This pivotal moment served as a necessary catalyst after several years of setbacks and negativity. While our friendship exhibited unique characteristics, it nonetheless constituted an epiphany for me.


At the 44th mile of the Superior 50-mile trail, I experienced a profound realization that propelled me to complete the race. My post on that event included the following information:



At 1:57 PM, I was on my way, feeling good. Then came the rocks. I climbed, climbed, and climbed. Finally, I felt dizzy, sick, and totally spent. I reached the top, lay on the rock, and cried. I decided I could no longer go on; my heart was heavy. I was going to lie there until someone came and got me. After a few minutes, some rock climbers asked if I was OK. I said yes, I needed a break, opened my pack, and found the 25 notes my girlfriend had passed all over the motel room the night before. I placed them in the pack that morning in case I needed inspiration. I started to read them. The quotes were such as "It hurts up to a point, and then it does not get any worse" from Ann Trason, the Ron Hill quote, "Get going, get up and walk if you have to, but finish the damned race," and Robert Frost "The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." I thought about my Promise to Dana that "we would finish" the race. I thought about how she died while trying to get in better shape. At that moment, I looked at the sky, and the sun hit my face with extraordinary strength. I felt my heart expand. I imagined how the Grinch felt as his heart grew three sizes. I looked at the rock climbers and said, "I am going to finish this race." I got up, put the notes in my pack, and felt terrific. I started running. I got to the Britton station, smiling, laughing, and having a good time. 12:31:11. Not bad considering I bawled on the rocks for an undetermined amount of time. I hugged my girlfriend and told her I would finish. I felt like no hand pain, ankle pain, or heart pain could stop me.


This is an epiphany! I genuinely need an epiphany like this right now. Although it may not be present now, I am sure that it will strike me in the future. These peculiar thoughts have resurfaced in my mind.


I recall that during my high school years, Sheri Fjelstad ended our relationship. I turned on the radio and listened to Cliff Richard singing “We Don’t Talk Anymore.” We never communicated again—an epiphany of a different kind, messages at an unexpected time. This was the ideal epiphany that I needed at that particular moment. It reminded me that regardless of our actions, simple things can either bring us happiness or alleviate sadness.


Additionally, there are instances of random acts of kindness that can be considered epiphanies. These unselfish actions make life full and fulfilling beyond what I often acknowledge. The opportunity will likely present itself soon; I hope I possess the kindness and knowledge to seize it. I am confident that many of you have experienced these special thoughts on numerous occasions while attempting to complete a 100-mile race. I plan to complete a 100-mile run someday to ascertain whether it will provide me with the elusive epiphany or deliver a satisfying and rewarding experience.


Until I have further insights to share or finally attain my long-awaited enlightenment. A 100-mile run someday to ascertain whether it will provide me with the elusive epiphany or merely deliver a satisfying and rewarding experience. That concludes my thoughts.


Until I have more to say or finally get my much-needed Epiphany. Carry on, my friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...