So, I decided not to weigh myself after I shed 2 pounds in just three weeks, including the Thanksgiving break. I felt good about that. But guess what? I weighed myself today, and I’ve gained 8 pounds in just three weeks! That’s a whopping 6-pound gain since November 1. Ouch! It’s like I’ve gained 75% of the weight I lost back in 2005/2006. I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on, but it seems like there are a bunch of issues.
I’m not going to overthink it because I’ve been feeling bloated lately. I think it might be a sodium/water issue or just that I’ve been working out more. In the past, I’d go up and then shoot down more than I did, plateau, and then drop quickly. However, this time, completing over 30 minutes at a 15% incline or a tough 40 minutes on the elliptical is much easier. This wasn’t the case in November, so I know I’m stronger.
My son had a check-up last week. We received the blood test results today, and they indicate that he has a Vitamin D deficiency. Is this just a medical fad, or has there been a recent change in blood test results? Or is something strange happening? He lives in Colorado and gets outside often—more sun than most. Over twenty people I know have been told they have a Vitamin D deficiency. It’s puzzling.
In conclusion, I am preparing myself for the upcoming season of “The Biggest Loser,” which commences tomorrow evening. Notably, a father-daughter duo from Minneapolis is participating in the show. The father, O’Neal Hampton Jr., is a station manager for the United States Postal Service, while his daughter, SunShine Hampton, works as a waitress. Both individuals hail from Minneapolis.
Specific segments of the show were filmed at Moir Park in Bloomington and the Mall of America. In October, O’Neal Hampton Jr. dined at Rudolf’s BBQ as a “last supper.” While some viewers may express negative sentiments towards this show, it stands out as one of the few I consistently watch and generally find enjoyable.
To facilitate my viewing experience, I utilize a DVR. I turn it on at 7 PM and subsequently rewind it at 8 PM. This allows me to fast-forward through the advertisements, enabling me to return to live television by 9 PM. The abundance of advertisements during the show poses a significant challenge.
Carry on my friends!
Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.
I think you're right to think the vitamin D thing is a new "fad" diagnosis. That's not to say there is no truth in it. I also take a vitamin D supplement.
You've been working hard on your workouts and improving and that's important and good. It's not only about the weight (although that would be nice, too!). Monday, January 4, 2010 at 11:15:31 PM CST
Those two people on the show are my Dad and Sister, they are from Richfield MN and the "last supper" was at The Market BBQ. Thanks for the support! :). Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 12:45:34 AM CST
Don't count me as a hater of the show! I have problems with it, but it's interesting and some get inspired by it, which is a good thing.
I recently ran with a guy who got passed by you in a race. He told me that he was thinking, "I can't let that fat guy beat me." Then he thought, "You know, he's a pretty good runner. He can beat me. It's okay." Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 10:28:47 AM CST
You're doing fine. I always remind myself in my own weight loss/general fitness goals that it's "a process, not an event". Be honest with yourself, keep doing the right things and you'll reach your goals. It's not about perfection but progress, which is making. My own recent weight loss has come from KNOWING my daily caloric limit (if you don't know where you are going, how will you know when you are there?), Writing it down... and forgiving myself for being human. Sincerely, a Short Fat German Runner. Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 10:49:42 AM CST
Londell - I have a bit of insight on vitamin D as I work in health care. There was a recent study in my area looking at Vitamin D levels in folks and discovering that many, many people in northern climates are deficient. Many reasons for this - lack of sunlight being one, but use of sunscreens being another (compounds our long seasons of short days). They have also discovered that Vit. D deficiency can lead to alot of other issues (as you well know). So yes, it is a new thing to test for it more routinely. But the rules for deficiency seem to be pretty hard and fast - at least with the lab we use ;-Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 2:02:35 PM CST
Hi Londell, This is Karyn, "Westy"'s wife. I have followed your blog since Mike started blogging and have always related to your weight struggles. Between 2001 and 2003, I put on 40 pounds even though I was running and exercising 5-7 days per week and was not eating any differently than I had been. Actually, I was eating more healthy foods and taking in fewer calories but was still unable to lose any weight. Years of doctors, nutritionists, increased exercise, etc. did not provide any answers. In March of 2009, an acquaintance introduced me to USANA products. (I have no financial interest in the company.) I began using their nutritional meal supplements, which are based on a low glycemic index. I finally started losing weight for the first time in almost 8 years. I lost about 35 pounds in 5 months and have been able to keep it off by eating low glycemic load foods - some of which are very different than what we are told are "healthy" foods. Let me know if you are interested in hearing more about it as this may be a key for you as it was for me. Karyn. Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 1:51:11 PM CST
Here's to a great 2010 for you, Londell... and I'm looking forward to seeing you at as many races/gatherings as possible (whether we're running, volunteering, taking pictures, whatever)! Friday, January 8, 2010 at 8:28:17 AM CST
No comments:
Post a Comment