I had a blast at the horse aid station despite not running Surf the Murph due to the excellent weather course. Twelve hours flew by as I watched many friends complete their goals.
The day started off rough when Les had issues with the trailer, delaying the arrival of supplies until after 7 a.m. Duke had reached the station before we even started unloading equipment, but luckily, the support crews were there. This proved that even the best planning can be disrupted.
Subsequently, another unexpected occurrence arose. As the influenza pandemic spread, my two aid station volunteers were unable to attend. Initially, there were three of us assigned to this location, which comprises two stops for the runners. Several participants were at the second (50K) or third loop (50 miles) at the first aid station when I informed them that I would see them again, which caused them to become alarmed. They were unaware that the other side of the tree was the station they had previously visited. The expression on their faces was priceless, but I was unable to capture it with a photograph. The two volunteers who were unable to make it later that day (husband and wife) appeared visibly exhausted. I commended her unwavering dedication, but the station was experiencing a slowdown, and I advised them to take a rest. I sincerely hope that she recovers swiftly.
Kurt Neuburger and Caitlin were a gift from God. Kurt, a veteran aid station expert, couldn’t run due to surgery, but Caitlin did the last four miles with Carrie. It was rewarding for both.
Kurt started a fire that we kept going all day. It was welcome early in the cool hours and later as the sun set. I’m not a Boy Scout, but he used Vaseline to start it.
Mary Knutson, the workhorse, helped me at the aid station. She had stomach pain and was paralyzed for over an hour, but she worked through it. I appreciated her company.
Cindy delivered a large pizza mid-day. Some runners loved the idea of pizza at the aid station. I may not have survived it, but they finished strong.
The costumes were fantastic. I missed the outhouse, but I included a few below.
Carry on my friends, carry on!



No comments:
Post a Comment