Sunday, November 1, 2009

Knee is fine - The "A" Word

My knee condition has significantly improved. While the pain has diminished, I still experience tenderness when kneeling on it. However, overall, my condition is satisfactory.


My doctor and I have mutually agreed that the most effective course of action is to reduce my weight before resuming running on my knee. He informed me that I have a small amount of arthritis, commonly referred to as “A.” He emphasized that achieving weight loss and gradually increasing my running mileage would yield the most favorable outcomes.


Despite my positive outlook, I am slightly apprehensive about the diagnosis of arthritis. While I am aware of individuals who successfully manage similar conditions and continue running, my doctor reassured me that the affected area is small and not overly concerning. He did, however, indicate that weight would exacerbate the situation.


I have been incorporating treadmill, elliptical, and bike workouts into my routine. I can now complete 30 minutes of running at 15% incline and a 22-minute mile while carrying 3-pound barbells. A few weeks ago, I could only manage 15 minutes of treadmill running without any weights. Therefore, my progress is encouraging, but I will heed my doctor’s advice and investigate the potential impact of running on my knee until I have achieved weight loss. I am content with the current improvement, although I still experience discomfort when kneeling on it.


Carry on my friends, carry on!


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.


Beth
That pesky "A" word! I think you are being smart and your knee will reward you when you start running again. You have been doing great getting your cardio in and that will really help, too. Love the new countdown!  Friday, November 20, 2009 at 8:08:42 AM CST
Anonymous
Good job, Londell, on the exercising. I'm not running right now, but I'm finding that spinning classes and swimming are working me hard. Tell Shelley it was good to see her at the UMTR fest.  Molly Cochran. Friday, November 20, 2009 at 12:44:25 PM CST
Bill S
YOU CAN DO IT.  Friday, November 20, 2009 at 2:31:39 PM CST
SteveQ
Yeah, I hear you - I got the arthritis verdict myself. Someday we'll be telling whippersnappers to stop running on our lawns.  Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 10:09:18 AM CST
Carl Gammon
Glad to hear the knee is doing better. I hope the wieght loss goes well, as the doc is right, that can only be good for the knee. I've made tht journey myself, and will be rooting for you.  Friday, December 4, 2009 at 9:05:16 AM CST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...