Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Jordan Canada to Denver Day 4

We slept through the massive storms in Wisdom on a cool night. At 2:30 AM, Jordan woke and asked for his sleeping bag. At 5:45 AM, I saw a double rainbow outside my window. I tried to wake Jordan at 6:30 a.m., but he was still asleep. I processed photos and videos and prepared a blog post. Just before 8:00 a.m., Jordan woke up. We prepared for the day and left for Dillon at 9:00 a.m. The ride is half ascent, followed by a descent.


Jordan stopped at Jackson for a 10-minute rest (about 20 miles). His legs are fine, but his hand hurts. He looks tired and worn. He wants to complete 100 miles before the end of the day, making four consecutive 100-mile days. If successful, he’ll take Wednesday off before heading to Yellowstone. The steep climbs began from Jackson. Fortunately, the weather held, with only the high 60s—a huge reprieve after yesterday’s heat. By the time he reached the top, the clouds arrived.


To beat the storm's arrival, he aggressively rode down the road, sometimes reaching 50 MPH. In the video, he was traveling at 42 MPH, as indicated by the Subaru speedometer. He successfully caught up to Dillon at 1:30, covering 71 miles in under 4 hours, averaging over 18 MPH. However, the weather was dangerous, with lightning and dark clouds on both sides of the route.



The road became dangerous, so I gave him a ride for about 8 miles, during which time the road improved. He was racing the storm again, but this time, it was terrifying. After Three Forks, we realized he couldn’t outrun it. At 100.1 miles, we loaded the bike into the car. Within seconds, the downpour became atrocious, making driving difficult. This was our lucky day!


Ride (first 71 miles) Summary:

  • Strava Link - 71 miles – 3 hours 56 minutes 13 seconds
  • Speed: Average 18.05 MPH, maximum 46.7 MPH
  • Cadence: Average 77 RPM,  Maximum 121 RPM
  • Heart rate:  Average 113 BPM, Maximum 155 BPM
  • Ascent 2,598 feet and descent 3,543 feet

TOTAL FOR THE DAY:

  • 100.3 miles
  • 5 hours 24 minutes 18 seconds
  • 18.6 MPH

NOTE: Day 5 is a rest day.


Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...