Sunday, May 17, 2020

Stay in place lifted!

Has the Minnesota stay-at-home order been lifted? Is this a prudent decision? There are passionate arguments on both sides of the issue. One perspective draws a parallel to war, suggesting that the affluent will go to great lengths to maintain their wealth, even if it results in loss of life. Another viewpoint questions whether we are obligated to retaliate in the face of aggression. The truth remains uncertain.

This pandemic has been challenging for everyone. I’ve been sensitive to my co-workers’ mental health and tried to support them. But I’m starting to think this lockdown time is making me depressed. Working from home has reduced my average workweek to under 70 hours. Maybe it’s burnout, not depression. My feelings are more than“I feel bad” or “I’m angry.” I feel like I’m trapped in a dark room. I ask myself, “Why don’t you pick yourself up?” But I don’t answer; I only ask.

I totally get that when things don’t go as planned at work or if our leaders aren’t doing their best, it can really bring us down. The daily hustle can be tough on all of us. And it’s no surprise that mental health short-term disability claims are climbing by 10% each year, according to the Center for Workplace Mental Health. The mental toll of a depressed work environment can really add up. Depression is a big reason why we’re not as productive as we could be in the U.S., and I recently read that the annual cost is between $40 and $50 billion.

Studies indicate that employers incur a significant financial loss, amounting to 27 workdays per depressed employee. Notably, two-thirds of this loss is attributed to “presenteeism,” a phenomenon where individuals are physically present at work but exhibit reduced productivity. There is a well-established correlation between work stress and depression. This relationship arises from the acute stress experienced during specific tasks, such as meeting occasional deadlines or delivering significant presentations. These stressors effectively trigger the body’s fight-or-flight response, which can enhance performance. Conversely, chronic stress, characterized by constant deadlines or exposure to high-pressure situations, is associated with depression, cardiovascular diseases, elevated blood pressure, and type II diabetes.

As a supervisor, I recognize the positive impact this initiative has on my team. However, I must acknowledge that my leadership may not always align with this approach. In certain situations, I find myself lacking control as the challenges escalate and the complexities intensify.

In light of these circumstances, I am seeking clarification on the following:

  1. Is it advisable for me to return to the office?
  2. Is it safe to refuel my vehicle?
  3. Is it prudent to visit a medical professional?

I am currently five weeks overdue for my last iron count test. While my anemia has improved, I still require occasional infusions (three last year). I am experiencing a resurgence of low iron levels, leading me to question whether it is safer to refrain from medical attention.

Confusion and instability grow, and I am still trying to figure out the correct answer?

Carry on my friends, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...