Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dear old man, Winter

Please accept this letter as formal notice of your immediate termination. While you have consistently exceeded our expectations and requirements, the harsh January weather conditions, including temperatures dropping to -20°F (with a wind chill of -40°F), constant snowfall, and blustery winds, have made it clear that you have surpassed all expectations. In light of these circumstances, we believe it is in your best interest to seek employment elsewhere. I understand that I have no control over the hiring and firing decisions made by Mother Nature’s staff, but I often wish I had some influence in such matters. 


Why do I want to rid myself of this long winter?  I miss riding my bike to work! 


Many people suggest, “Get a fat bike, fat man.” While this might be a viable option if the roads weren’t so congested with snow and drivers weren’t so frustrated, riding to work is inherently dangerous. Over half of my commute involves sharing roads where the speed limit exceeds 40 MPH.


People often ask what the allure of commuting on a bicycle.  To me, there are so many reasons, many fundamental, which include:

  • It’s cheaper than driving. According to AAA, the average cost of owning a car in 2013 increased by just over $9,000 due to rising fuel costs and upkeep. On the other hand, maintaining bikes costs only $308 per year, which is nearly 30 times less than the cost of owning a car.
  • While this comparison isn’t entirely fair since I still own a vehicle, I can share my personal savings. I save about $4.00 daily on fuel costs by biking. Using the Commute Saving Calculator, I found that my annual commute costs $5,702.40. With 260 workdays in a year, I typically commute 60-80 of those days, resulting in annual savings of approximately $1,500. However, I incur $200 in annual bike repairs. Despite these expenses, I find it worthwhile to save an average of $100 a month through tax-free savings.
  • It's a free gym on wheels.
  • As I age, bike commuting can be an incredibly effective cardiovascular exercise. It’s also easier on the joints, especially for those who are overweight. Therefore, engaging in activities like swimming or biking that don’t put too much strain on the joints can be beneficial. 
  • I miss traffic jams. Even under ideal conditions, it takes about 20-25 minutes to drive. To account for any unexpected delays, I plan for a 40-45 minute commute. Interestingly, people with similar commutes often take longer to drive than I do. 
  • I save significantly on health care expenses. 
  • My productivity significantly improves when I commute to work by bicycle. Numerous studies have demonstrated that individuals who commute to work by bike, walking, or jogging are less likely to call in sick. In the summer, I feel healthier when I ride my bicycle frequently. Interestingly, some studies suggest that taking the bus may increase the likelihood of getting sick. Fresh air is undoubtedly beneficial for our health. A survey conducted by the University of Nottingham revealed that public transit riders are “six times more likely to suffer from acute respiratory infections.”
  • I never have to worry about finding a parking spot. In fact, we have conveniently located bike parking right next to the workout room and locker facility. (This amenity is worth sacrificing 20% of my salary compared to many of my colleagues who don’t have this option.) Money isn’t everything.
  • The most significant reason for me to bike to work, provided the roads aren’t icy or snowy, is the joy of life. When I stop at a stoplight, I greet any other bikers who arrive. If we’re heading in the same direction, we ride a few miles together. Imagine trying that in a car! Biking allows me to easily stop and savor the moment, whether it’s watching kids play, marveling at nature’s wonders, or catching up with friends.

A bike commute offers numerous benefits, including hassle-free travel, zero gas costs, increased exercise, eco-friendliness, reduced car key searches, workplace leadership, worry-free parking, traffic avoidance, and insurance savings. Despite a longer commute, I save time.


A typical day begins at 5:45 AM with a 15-minute wake-up and breakfast. By 6:50 AM, I shower and prepare for work. By 7:20 AM, I’m in the car, facing traffic delays. On a good day, I arrive at work at 7:50 AM.


Biking eliminates the morning routine. I pack everything the night before, wake at 5:45 AM, and start riding by 5:55 AM. The crisp air is invigorating. I arrive at work between 6:50 and 7:10 AM. I stretch, shower, and prepare for the day. By 7:40 AM, I walk into the office with breakfast, eat at my desk, and begin my day.


Wow, that 18-mile bike ride saved me over 10 minutes, and I feel so much better and less stressed! I was chatting with friends on the way and soaking in the fantastic scenery, which really lifted my spirits. You can’t experience the beauty and wonders of nature like that when you’re stuck in a car, zooming around at 55 MPH or more.


So, Old Man Winter, please ease up and make the roads bicycle-safe so I can again enjoy my days in a way most will never understand or experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...