Monday, October 11, 2010

Terrible too's

 I am experiencing a slight improvement in my condition. I have been diligently documenting my weight fluctuations daily throughout this month. Daily weight measurements provide valuable insights into my progress. Over the past ten days, I have experienced a significant range of weight changes, with a peak of 10 pounds and a low of 6 pounds. Interestingly, my weight has been 4 pounds heavier than it was two days ago, but it has decreased by 6 pounds compared to ten days ago. These fluctuations are quite peculiar. I will continue to closely monitor my progress.


The primary question I am addressing is: How much weight loss is considered excessive once I regain my health? I have decided to prioritize cycling for the foreseeable future and incorporate running into my routine once I complete a 100-mile cycling journey—yes, in a single attempt. I have already completed several rides of 25-50 miles over the past month, so I am well on my way to achieving this goal. I have been diligently following my training plan and reading extensively for PF, and despite these efforts, I still experience some discomfort. Weight loss achieved through cycling may serve as a suitable initial step in my recovery process.


Many runners, particularly those new to the sport, make the “terrible twos” mistake. They become overly enthusiastic about running and increase their mileage, speed, and intensity too quickly. They mistakenly believe that “more is better” when it comes to running. Consequently, they often develop common overuse running injuries. Having experienced this myself, I can provide some insight into what constitutes excessive running. Some professional runners suggest the following guidelines:


  1. Be more conservative with your running frequency, duration, and distance, especially early on. Gradually increase your weekly mileage by no more than 10%. For instance, if you start at 520 feet, increase it to 572 feet the next week, and so on. This means it’ll take 25 weeks to a mile. However, if your first run is 5 miles, you could potentially complete a 100-mile run in 6 months. Does this violate the 10% rule?
  2. Pay attention to aches and pains. If the pain worsens while running, stop. I’d never run if this were true. At 50, what doesn’t hurt? Good. Does this mean I call in sick and stay in bed?
  3. Take at least a day off. From what, everything, or just running? I need clarification.


My primary objective is to engage in running. However, I am apprehensive about initiating this endeavor due to concerns regarding my ability to regulate my weight. Nevertheless, I recognize the necessity of acquiring the knowledge to maintain my weight, and I may inadvertently overexert myself.


Despite my excitement, I anticipate experiencing a period of disorientation for the subsequent three weekends. Tennis will be temporarily suspended. Although I will not be playing tennis, I will be attending an official meeting in Dallas on Friday. Subsequently, I will return home for two weekends before embarking on a five-week consecutive run. This schedule coincides with the week preceding Christmas. It is remarkable how swiftly time passes as we age.


Recently, I encountered a perplexing concept that prompted me to conduct a thorough online search. To my astonishment, the information I discovered corroborated my initial impression. Given that a fellow blogger is currently experiencing a similar situation, I was uncertain about my own perspective on the shirt. While it possesses a diverse range of elements, it undeniably exhibits a creative flair.


Time to call it a night. Viking has depressed me, so I guess I should sleep well!


Carry on, my friends.


Comments from my original blog - I merged the blogs.

NJ
Just wondering if you've tried keeping your foot in a flexed position via a Strasburg sock or other contraption overnight. Once I did that, I saw huge improvements in my PF. Mainly because I could walk in the morning. I can recommend you if you need it (Target carries a great option). I hope you can heal that PF soon! It sure is a pain to deal with...I know! (no pun intended). Biking is great...a way to keep and build fitness but not hurt the heel worse! Good luck with the 100! I'm sure you can do it, but can you get that in before the snow flies this year?  Those rules you list out are meant to be a guide. Some people can blow the 10% rule out the window and others have to be more modest than even that. If you listen to your body, that's key,but most people don't know their body's well enough so they need rules/guides. For #3, that's individual. Rest can also be active recovery...ie Yoga, walking or hiking, playing football with the family, etc. (at least, this is my opinion on how I see this). Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 10:07:18 AM CDT
Beth
I've seen that shirt and I think it is funny. Don't know that I would wear it seriously, but I get the joke. Thanks for the shout out and for thinking about me. You and other runners have really helped me get through the last couple of months.   I agree with you on doing too much too soon. Better to take it slow. A 100 mile bike ride is a great goal and you are well on your way.  Time is truly flying, but it will be exciting to plan for 2011!  Saturday, October 30, 2010 at 5:01:05 PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frustrated

 I often feel more like a servant than a human being. I'm unsure what God has planned for me, and like many others, I don't experien...